the wonderful world of veena.

07 April 2014

40 days of giving back, day twenty-nine: well-versed.

Today's challenge was to share a verse with others, something that has a great meaning for me. As I mentioned in previous posts, I'm not necessarily religious, so I don't have any religious verses that I turn to whenever I'm having a tough day or questioning my life path [the latter of which happens often when you're an unpaid nonprofit slogger :)]. Instead, I have a number of quotes that I like to remember and share that remind me why I do what I do.

I mentioned a few weeks ago about my trips to Jamaica and how much they have meant to me. Each year at the Reflections ceremony, when the students gather to share stories from their trip and with a group of family and friends, Joli, the Community Service Director, presents each Jamaica tripper with a photo collage. It contains a picture of each traveler during their recent trip, and there is always a quote to symbolize the group and the trip. Joli has a knack for finding the perfect quote for each visit, and over the last 14 years, I have often found myself repeating the one she put on my collage all those years ago.

Tis the human touch in the world that counts-
The touch of your hand and mine-
Which means far more to the sinking heart
Than shelter or bread or wine
For shelter is gone when the night is o'er,
And bread lasts only a day
But the touch of the hand and the sound of the voice
Live on in the soul always
[Spencer Michael Free]

I guess this is my way of reminding myself how much good you can do even with few resources.
xx

Previous Tasks:
Day One - Start a Journal
Day Two - Create a Generosity Jar
Day Three - Tool Up
Day Four - Connect
Day Five - An Attitude of Gratitude
Day Six - Reach
Day Seven - Redial
Day Eight - o.t.t.
Day Nine - Listen, carefully
Day Ten - Talent Show
Day Eleven - one green thing
Day Twelve - #nofilter
Day Thirteen - Go Local
Day Fourteen - Shhhhh
Day Fifteen - Stand Up, Stand Out
Day Sixteen - bake it, make it, take it
Day Seventeen - Ps and Qs
Day Eighteen - #charitytuesday
Day Nineteen - don't hold back the wonderful
Day Twenty - Always Talk to Strangers
Day Twenty-One - Pray
Day Twenty-Two - Unplug
Day Twenty-Three - Milk, No Sugar
Day Twenty-Four - grinning = winning
Day Twenty-Five - Treasure Hunt
Day Twenty-Six - domino
Day Twenty-Seven - blooming marvellous
Day Twenty-Eight - Go Guerrilla

No comments:

Post a Comment