the wonderful world of veena.

08 April 2014

40 days of giving back, day thirty: meet a need.

Today's challenge was to meet the need of a local organization, such as a food bank or a hospital. In our little suburb, there is a veterans association that comes by once a month to pick up and clothing or household items that we no longer have a use for. They came by today, and my father had left a few bags out by the mailbox for them, so I guess today he was the one who followed through on this challenge.

Trust me, I definitely have some things I need to get rid of. It's time for me to do my quarterly closet and room cleanse and give the things I don't use regularly to someone who might. Unfortunately, I didn't know that today was their pick-up day until about 7pm last night, and so I didn't have enough time to get my stuff together.

But. When they came by to pick up this month's haul, they left another bright yellow bag for next months collection. I brought the bag up to my room, and in these next few days and weeks, I'm going to slowly start filling it with the things I no longer wear or use. And when they come back next month, I'll be ready.

In the meantime, I'd still like to help another organization. I called up the Mid-South Food Bank this afternoon, and although they don't have any particular needs at the moment, they said they always accept donations. So when I make a Kroger run for the parents later this week, I'm going to pick up some canned goods to take over to one of their donations sites. Additionally, I filled out the individual volunteer form to spend a few hours each Monday afternoon filling backpacks for one of their programs. It's a small way I can start volunteering regularly - something I've been wanting to do - and help out a local organization.

I'm always on the lookout for more opportunities like these - especially one-time volunteer opportunities for events - so if you hear of anything, pass them along to me. And happy helping.
xx

Previous Tasks:
Day One - Start a Journal
Day Two - Create a Generosity Jar
Day Three - Tool Up
Day Four - Connect
Day Five - An Attitude of Gratitude
Day Six - Reach
Day Seven - Redial
Day Eight - o.t.t.
Day Nine - Listen, carefully
Day Ten - Talent Show
Day Eleven - one green thing
Day Twelve - #nofilter
Day Thirteen - Go Local
Day Fourteen - Shhhhh
Day Fifteen - Stand Up, Stand Out
Day Sixteen - bake it, make it, take it
Day Seventeen - Ps and Qs
Day Eighteen - #charitytuesday
Day Nineteen - don't hold back the wonderful
Day Twenty - Always Talk to Strangers
Day Twenty-One - Pray
Day Twenty-Two - Unplug
Day Twenty-Three - Milk, No Sugar
Day Twenty-Four - grinning = winning
Day Twenty-Five - Treasure Hunt
Day Twenty-Six - domino
Day Twenty-Seven - blooming marvellous
Day Twenty-Eight - Go Guerrilla
Day Twenty-Nine - Well-Versed

No comments:

Post a Comment