the wonderful world of veena.

19 March 2014

40 days of giving back, day eleven: one green thing.

Monday's task was to commit to doing one green thing. I am by no means a great environmentalist, but I do try my best. I take reusable bags to the grocery store and to Target. I turn off appliances and lights when they're not being used. I use as little water as possible when I do the dishes. I try to keep my driving to a minimum [not an easy task in a city like Memphis]. We recycle at home.

But all of these are little things. I know I'm not making some huge difference in the world, but I also know that everyone doing something small contributes to something greater.

While thinking about how I could make my everyday life greener, I kept coming back to one thing: the amount of water I waste in the shower. I've long wanted to cut back and to turn off the tap as I lather, etc, but I've become lazy about it. I was good about it when I first came back to the States for grad school, but I've since let that commitment lapse, and I know it's only because I'm lazy and it sometimes gets inconvenient to do it. Especially in the winter, when it takes a minute for the water to get hot.

So I've decided that that is what I am going to recommit myself to, and I am going to make a concerted effort to use less water when I bathe. But I am also open to other small ways I can make my life greener, if you have any suggestions.

And this is also my plea to those of you out there to try to make your days a little greener as well.
xx

Previous Tasks:
Day One - Start a Journal
Day Two - Create a Generosity Jar
Day Three - Tool Up
Day Four - Connect
Day Five - An Attitude of Gratitude
Day Six - Reach
Day Seven - Redial
Day Eight - o.t.t.
Day Nine - Listen, carefully
Day Ten - Talent Show

No comments:

Post a Comment