the wonderful world of veena.

08 March 2014

40 days of giving back, day four: connect.

The goal for today was to connect with someone. It could have been someone I see on a regular basis but have never really spoken to before, or it could have been someone I came into contact with today and struck up a meaningful conversation with. Just so long as it was taking a moment to speak with and connect with someone new.

I really lucked out with this task, because I got to have a really great conversation with a great girl while I was in Helena today. I drove down with my mother so she could meet with her accountant, and while I was waiting for her, I struck up a conversation with the girl who was working at the front desk while she took a break from her work. She's a bright, friendly young lady with some great aspirations and some wonderful achievements ahead of her, and we spent half an hour discussing her options for universities and career opportunities. It's been a while since I had such an in-depth conversation with an 18-year-old [who I knew last as a cute little 3-year-old!], and it was so refreshing to speak to her about some of the things she hopes to accomplish and how she's going about doing it. She has a great head on her shoulders, and I have no doubt that she will do great things, and I feel lucky to have been able to speak with her today, however briefly it may have been.

I meant to give her my email address as we were leaving, but between all the last minute chatter and the goodbyes, it slipped my mind. Luckily I am a supremely talented Facebook stalker, and I found her with very little effort and sent her a message with my contact information, should she need anything in the future. I'm not sure how much I can offer by way of advice, but I know I appreciated anyone who offered help when I was her age, and I hope maybe I can be a resource for her as she navigates the next steps in her life.

It was certainly a great connection, and it really added a great dimension to today's little jaunt to Helena.
xx

Previous Tasks:
Day One - Start a Journal
Day Two - Create a Generosity Jar
Day Three - Tool Up

No comments:

Post a Comment