the wonderful world of veena.

10 March 2014

40 days of giving back, day five: an attitude of gratitude.

I have long been someone who loves sending and receiving mail. Quick postcards, funny cards I find in shops, or long letters just because...regardless of the type, I love mail, especially since everything is computerized these days. I have a stack of postcards I have collected from various trips that I am slowly sending out to people, so be on the lookout, you might be receiving a Nepal postcard with a Tennessee postmark one day soon. I figure it's the thought that counts, regardless of where it's sent from.

While I enjoy writing these notes and letters, I'm not great about writing Thank You notes. I've been trying to be better about it the past few years, but there is definitely room for improvement. While in grad school I ordered a box of Thank You cards from Vistaprint and have slowly been sending them as and when I can.

[my pretty pretty thank you notecards]
Today's task was to show an "attitude of gratitude" and write a Thank You note for someone who may not always get thanked for their hard work, preferably someone I come into contact with on a semi-regular basis but have never properly thanked for doing what they do. I racked my brain to come up with the best person I could think of, and I eventually landed on Caitlin.

Caitlin works at the dry cleaners our family has been going to for the last few years. Although I don't often get my clothes dry cleaned, I'm there quite often dropping off and picking up for my parents and brother, and over the years, we've all gotten to know Caitlin pretty well. She's always friendly and smiling, and she took the time and effort to remember our family and be especially nice to us whenever we're in there. And through the years, I can't think of a time that I've properly thanked her for her work. I'll always say a "thanks" as I turn to walk out the door, but there's nothing like receiving a note that acknowledges your hard work and your friendly attitude. So I decided to write my note to Caitlin.

A day writing and sending a note to someone is a day well spent, if you ask me.
xx

Previous Tasks:
Day One - Start a Journal
Day Two - Create a Generosity Jar
Day Three - Tool Up
Day Four - Connect

No comments:

Post a Comment