the wonderful world of veena.

11 September 2011

ten years.

On this day, 10 years ago, I walked back to my townhouse after my 8am class.  It was just like any other Tuesday; I remember craving a nap and hoping that some nice fall weather was on the horizon.

I crossed the street and was almost to the gate for the townhouses when Mike Aggianidis came bustling out and told me that a plane had just flown into one of the twin towers.  He hurriedly told me to go watch the coverage so I could let him know what was going on when he got out of class.

I walked into our townhouse and immediately woke up Shelley and told her something was going on.  At that point I still had no real idea of what was happening or of the potential impact of it.  All I knew was that it was big.

We had each television in our townhouse tuned to a different station and spent the entire day in the house watching the coverage, trying to make sense of the incredible tragedy of it all and trying to figure out what was going to happen next.

Ten years later, this is a day to remember the heroes of September 11, 2001.  Nearly 3,000 people died on that day, and many of them were policemen and firefighters who ran into the burning buildings while ushering others out to safety.  Would I have had the courage to do that?  I honestly don't know.  Am I thankful that they did?  Every day of my life.

What I do know is that in everything that has happened since, and everything that is yet to come, the events of that day will forever be burned into my memory.

We will never forget.
Woo pig.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment