the wonderful world of veena.

27 September 2011

10K tuesday: the first week.

Welcome to my first 10K Tuesday post!  [I'm a sucker for alliteration, what to do]  I'm still not entirely sure how I'm going to format this, if I'm going to do specific categories or just wing it each week.  For the first one I'm just going to wing it, and then as we get further into my training, if I see particular things cropping up each time, I might start doing categories.  Or, in reality, I might get distracted in a few weeks and forget to keep up with this.  We'll see.

Well, I have completed the first week of the Couch-to-5K training as well as the first day of the second week.  So far it's not too bad, alternating between jogging and walking for about half an hour.  I've been getting up and heading out of the house around 6.30 in the mornings, which has worked out pretty well so far.  It's a lot cooler in the mornings than in the evenings, and I know that once I get home from school / meetings / events / work, I don't have the energy or the motivation to then complete my workout for the day.

The main hitches I foresee are my arches and shins, both of which have been problems since I was a teenager.  I have completely flat feet, which means that they hurt easily and require a lot of support.  I have orthotics in my shoes - both of which are designed for people with flat feet - but I think I might actually need to get a new pair of running shoes.  I got these when I returned to the States thinking I would walk or maybe do the elliptical a few times a week - nothing too difficult and nothing high-impact.  And then I lost my mind and decided to sign up for a 10K.  So I'm going to go this week and see if I need new shoes.

My shins started giving me trouble my senior year of high school, when I got all 3 kinds of shin splints at the same time.  I always felt like such a poser hanging out in the training room icing down my shins with all the wrestlers and basketball and soccer players who had legit injuries.  So far they've not given me trouble, but I'd really like to avoid that at all cost, so I think I might start icing them down the night before I run, in the hopes that that will prevent anything from going wrong.

I'm getting a bit concerned about my knees, but I think they'll be ok since right now I have every other day off from running.  On the off days I'm getting up and stretching, doing some light weights, and I really need to start doing abs, but those are my least favourite, and I tend to avoid them unless someone is screaming at me to do them.

I also have a bit of a problem getting a dry mouth when I run.  This has been happening since I was in middle school, because I tend to breathe through my mouth when I run.  I know I'm not supposed to, but I've never been good at breathing through my nose.  I am trying to work on it, but it's going to take some time.  It's also getting cooler in the mornings, which I think is also drying out my mouth.  Once I start doing longer jogging times / distances, I'm going to have to carry my water with me and figure out how to juggle everything.

According to my phone, my pace is around 13 minutes / mile, which would be fine by me, except that we're still going in intervals, so I'm still not sure how long I can sustain that.  One of the main things I like about this program is that it builds up your endurance slowly, which is my main issue.  I know my legs can survive 6.2 miles, but I'm not entirely sure the rest of my body can.  I have to keep reminding myself when it's time to jog, "It's a marathon, not a sprint."  I'm not used to long distances, I'm more used to running for a certain amount of time, so it's going to take a bit more getting used to.

I also set myself a few challenges along the way.  Since it's a 9-week program, and a 5K amounts to 3.1 miles, every 3rd week I'm going to run timed distances on one of my in-between days.  So next weekend, I'll run a timed mile; after another 3 weeks it will be 2 miles, and then finally, at the end of the 9-week program, I'll time myself for 3 miles.  And once I finish all that it will be time to start the training program that the Little Rock Marathon gave us.

I don't have any updates as far as my weight is concerned, but I'm also still figuring out my diet, so that I think will take some time.  I'm not so much trying to lose weight as I am just wanting to tone a bit.  Those last few weeks of eating out every day in Bangalore combined with returning to the States and eating out with friends has not been good for me.  I'm also cutting back on how much I drink, which I think ought to help.

So I guess that's all I have for this inaugural post.  I know it's a bit all over the place, but if you've been reading this blog for any amount of time, you should already expect that from me.

Happy Tuesday!
Woo pig.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment