the wonderful world of veena.

11 January 2012

the books, #21-25.

I realize it's been a few months since I last updated my book list, but things have been a bit hectic. So, without further ado:

21. The Millennium Trilogy [Stieg Larsson]. You know which ones I'm talking about, the Dragon Tattoo, Played With Fire, Hornet's Nest books. Admittedly, I haven't read the third one yet, but that's because it doesn't release in paperback here for another month. I'm kicking myself for not having bought them in Bangalore - they've been out in paperback for nearly 2 years over there. I read the first one a few years ago, and while I liked it, I did find the beginning a bit slow-going as it introduced all the characters. The second one went much faster for me, as much of that background was out of the way. I'm intrigued to see what the third one has in store. And then after I've read the third book, I'm watching the Swedish versions of all 3 on Netflix - I've heard they're awesome.

22. The Memory Keeper's Daughter [Kim Edwards]. If you read this and didn't cry at least once, I'm pretty sure you're dead inside. And that's coming from someone who's not particularly a crier. It's both a heartbreaking and a hopeful story, and one that you won't forget all too soon. And it will make you thankful for the people you have in your life.

23. The Outsiders [SE Hinton]. An old classic that I've read and re-read numerous times over the years; between my brother and me our copy is pretty tattered these days. There's never a dull moment reading about the adventures of Pony Boy and the gang, and it's a jarring look at class differences in America. [although I normally despise books that are made into movies, I love the movie adaptation of this one. how can you not, with that lineup?]

24. A Fine Balance [Rohinton Mistry]. This isn't one that I necessarily enjoyed [you really can't, given the content of the book], but it is one that I found very interesting and difficult to put down. It's terribly sad and depressing, but it's also very eye-opening. It's a behemoth of a book, and it runs the full gamut of emotions, but I think it's definitely worth reading. I also loved the quote that Mistry used in the preface: "Holding this book in your hand, sinking back in your soft armchair, you will say to yourself: perhaps it will not amuse me. And after you have read this story of great misfortunes you will no doubt dine well, blaming the author for your own insensitivity, accusing him of wild exaggeration and flights of fancy. But rest assured: this tragedy is not a fiction. All is true."

25. Water for Elephants [Sara Gruen]. The book that made me want to join the circus. Not because it's necessarily a glamorous life, but because it sounds like one hell of an adventure. I always like books that are told through flashbacks and memories, and this one did not disappoint. It's a quick, interesting read that made the rounds of my TEFL group during our one-month stint in Kolkata. I'd love to re-read it but have no idea who has my copy. And if I keep re-reading, the only thing that happens is that my stack of yet-to-be-read books continues to grow. I haven't seen the movie version of this one, and I haven't quite decided if I'm going to. Anyone have any comments on it?

So there you go, 5 more books for you.
Next on my to-read list:
The Lost Flamingoes of Bombay [Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi]
The Hunger Games [Suzanne Collins]

Any suggestions for what I need to be reading?
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment