the wonderful world of veena.

23 April 2012

book update: the handmaid's tale / the hunger games / bossypants.

Yep, it's been a while since I did a book update. I've been finishing them rather quickly, but I've just not been able to get a chance to get my updates posted. So here is a mega-update for you, since I know you wait with bated breath for my ramblings about my readings. [oh wow, I think I just found a new title for my book update posts. hmm]

The Handmaid's Tale [Margaret Atwood]. I bought this over winter break - or rather, my father bought it for me over winter break. I was almost finished my previous book and was wondering what to read next, when this book came up in conversation at school one day, and Britney mentioned it was one of her favorite books from high school. So down it came from the shelf, only to wallow on my bedside table when school got a bit hectic. I started it just before Spring Break and finished it on the flight from London to Chicago, flying through it and mostly ignoring the reading I had for school. I found the characters intriguing; I liked the bit of mystery that Atwood maintained throughout the book; and I loved the ending. I'll be honest, it frustrated me a bit, but I completely understand why she ended it the way she did, and I loved it. This one comes highly recommended to any of you out there who have not yet read it.

The Hunger Games [Suzanne Collins]. Yes, I read the Hunger Games. When Lindsay and Catherine gushed about it last August, and then I heard so many of my classmates fawning over it last semester, I somehow still never managed to realize it was a book for young adults. In fact, I went to my faithful B&N in Memphis and had to drag Lindsey out of Receiving to help me find it, because I could not locate it in my trusty Fiction section. After giving me a long look, she finally told me that it was in the teen section. What? There was no way. But over I walked, and there it was. I felt like a tool, standing in the Teen Fantasy section and actually considering buying the book. But buy it I did. And I'm glad. It caused me to lose a lot of sleep the week after Spring Break, but that was because I refused to stop reading. It was definitely interesting to read this directly after The Handmaid's Tale, since both are set in post-apocalyptic, constricted societies and revolve around strong female characters. I am not at all ashamed to admit that I enjoyed the book, I enjoyed the movie [as did my brother, for the record], and I have already purchased the remaining two books [Catching Fire & Mockingjay] on my iPad Nook app. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Bossypants [Tina Fey]. I had heard so many good things about this book over the last few months, but I somehow never managed to get my hands on a copy. So one day, when I took Caroline to the B&N to purchase a new workbook for her, I saw this on the bestseller display and decided to pick it up. I enjoyed it thoroughly, mostly because it felt so much like it was just Tina Fey telling me a story. After watching her on SNL and 30 Rock for so many years, I could actually hear her voice while I read it. I liked that she writes the way I imagine she speaks, so it was a very natural progression of stories. If you want a light read that will keep you laughing, this is a great one to go for. I am generally a big fan of Tina Fey's, and this book definitely did not let me down.

And there you have it, you're all caught up to speed. I appear to have made a lot of progress, but that's partly because The Hunger Games and Bossypants were both super fast reads. I just started Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide [Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn] last night, and I think it's going to be a bit of a heavier read. But I am super excited about it.

Happy Reading!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment