the wonderful world of veena.

26 February 2012

a few fun things on the horizon.

This semester is turning out to be one wacky ride, both within and outside of school.

Practicum is trying its best to swallow me whole between now and Spring Break, and I am refusing to allow that to happen. Our final deliverables to our partners are due in the coming weeks, in addition to a project for Program Evaluation. It's going to be hectic and busy and crazy, but I'm confident I'll survive it.

Outside of school, I have many other things that are keeping me busy, but they are all things I am excited about, such as:

babies. One of my classmates just had a baby last week, and my good friend Lisa Jain is expecting her first baby in May. That means that as of today, I have already attended two baby showers in the last month. I would say that's more than enough, but I'm just waiting to hear someone else speak up and say they are expecting as well.

a fun-filled wedding and all the fun-filled activities that go along with it. Catherine and Drew are getting married in Little Rock at the end of April, so not only does that mean I got to go to Miami for an awesome bachelorette weekend, but it also means that I get to attend many fun events here in Little Rock to celebrate their upcoming marriage. There was a celebration dinner last weekend, and there is a wine-tasting shower for Catherine in two weeks, complete with an appearance by a sommelier. I can't wait for that one. And then comes the actual wedding weekend at the very end of April.

race weekend. That's right, that 10k that I've been referring to since September is finally about to happen. Marathon weekend is a week away, and I'm looking forward to it. For one, I am confident that I can actually complete the entire race, which is not something I would have said six months ago. For another, there are a lot of Clinton School students participating in the various races, so we're going to get a few cheering sections together along the route.

kickball. Yep, it's that time of year again. Kickball season starts the same day as the Marathon, which seems a little wacky to me, but I guess that's why I'm not the one in charge. I'm looking forward to this season - we're keeping the novice team fun, which is how it's supposed to be. After all - as Nathan Jesson puts it - it's a sport designed for 10-year-olds.

spring break. Oh yes, in between all of this is that little vacation I planned for myself to visit the Mann siblings in London and Paris in mid-March. I am so looking forward to seeing them. Only 20 days until I set food in London-town. That's so soon!

tom petty and the heartbreakers AND regina spektor in concert. They're playing together here in Little Rock in April, so Angela and I decided we should get ourselves some tickets for that.

[these next 3 are technically after school ends, but they deserve recognition as well]

san francisco! Miriam and Dave have been living out there for nearly three years now, and I have yet to get out there to see them. That also means that I haven't actually seen Miriam and Dave in nearly three years. I decided that I needed to see them before I headed back to Bangalore, and upon some searching, I realized that tickets from Little Rock to San Francisco are pretty reasonably priced. And about $200 cheaper than flying from Memphis. So I coordinated with Miriam and booked myself some tickets for the weekend after school wraps up. Not only am I thrilled at the prospect of spending a solid three days with them, but San Francisco is also the home of the global office of room to read, so I will also get to meet the people with whom I've been communicating all these months.

walker's wedding. My dear senior year Rhodes roommate Emily Walker is getting married Memorial Day weekend in Memphis, which of course I can't miss. Her wedding is at the Dixon Galleries in Memphis, so it's going to be both beautiful and an awesome throw-down. I'll get to see a lot of people I haven't seen in years, which I am very excited about. So that makes two babies and two weddings in one semester. There must be something in the water.

bangalore, istanbul, nepal! Since my dates for my IPSP got pushed back, I'm going to have close to 6 weeks in Bangalore to hang out with everyone and catch up and hopefully finalize my Capstone project. And in the middle of those 6 weeks, my awesome Clinton School classmate Kellen is getting married in Istanbul, so I'm going to treat myself by taking a little trip over there for his wedding. So now we're at three weddings, all within a span of three and a half months. I sure hope it's not catching... And then it's back to Bangalore for a few weeks - which will hopefully include a visit from my Macaroni - and then up to Delhi for a bit, over to Kathmandu for a week, and then to rural Bardiya for a few months.

Like I said, it's going to be busy. But I am genuinely thrilled about all of these events. I'm trying to squeeze in a trip to Hot Springs for the races, a trip to Fayetteville for an Arkansas baseball game, and / or a trip to St Louis to hang out with preggo Lisa. We'll see. I'm running out of weekends!

Any ideas for other things I should add?
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment