the wonderful world of veena.

05 February 2012

becoming a good citizen.

This month's good challenge is to become a better citizen. I get the emails about what the daily task is, and I thought I would share my responses to today's. Today's task was to make a list of the issues about which I am passionate. My list includes issues both domestic and international, and it encompasses things about which I am passionate as well as things about which I would like to learn more.

  • education. I believe that every child in the world should have access to education, regardless of location, socio-economic status, or gender. It's something I was passionate about here in the States, and it is something I have become almost crazed about since living abroad.
  • sustainability, in all shapes and sizes. Many people think that living sustainably means living in extremes, but that's not the case. Doing little things, such as recycling, turning off lights, not leaving appliances plugged in 24/7, or drying your clothes on a line instead of in a dryer can make a difference. Starting small is at least starting.
  • a woman's right to choose. I may alienate people who are reading this, but I am a firm believer in a woman's control over her own body.
  • freedom of religion. While not being a particularly religious person myself, I have no qualms with people who do have strong faith. I do, however, have issues with people of any religion who try to push their beliefs onto others. The beautiful thing about the world in which we live is that there is space for everyone to believe whatever they want to believe, and none of us has the right to trample on that.
There are other things in which I have been involved over the years, but those are probably tops on my list at the moment.

Apparently I will be referring back to this list in the coming weeks as part of my month-long attempt to become a better citizen, so check back to see what comes next.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment