the wonderful world of veena.

12 August 2011

dressing like a grown-up.

One of the things I loved about living and working in India these past few years was that I never had a real dress code.  Obviously for the Boys' Home I had to be covered up, but I was comfortable in salwars, and it also meant I never had to put too much time into my appearance.  And even when we would go out, the extent of my dressing up was skinny jeans and a nice top.  There were rarely occasions when I needed to get more dressed up than that, and if there were, I had my lucky dress and a few saris, so I would rotate those.  I don't think I ever spent more than 15 minutes getting ready for anything.

Not anymore.

I'm so excited about starting grad school next week, but the one thing I am not excited about is the dress code.  Yes, that's right, we have a business-casual dress code for grad school.  I understand the reasoning - it's because they get a lot of famous people and dignitaries randomly showing up, and we need to look presentable if and when that happens - but that doesn't mean that I'm excited about it.  Especially because it necessitates purchasing an entirely new wardrobe, and we all know how much I loathe shopping.

I managed to pick up a few things in Bangalore when Tommy had their super awesome, super cheap sale, but obviously I can't rotate clothes here the way I did in India.  I've slowly been procuring a few new things here and there, but I'm still nowhere near having enough clothes for the year, or even the next few months.

And then.  Last week we got an email detailing our Orientation activities for next week, and on one of the days we have to wear business-formal.  Meaning a jacket and blouse for women.  A jacket?  I definitely don't own one of those, and had somehow not even thought about the need for one.  [luckily, I wasn't the only one.  all the other girls I've spoken to are equally flustered]  So now that is added to the ever-growing list of clothes that I need for school.

Today I went to Target, to see what all I could get from there that's not as expensive as buying at fancy stores.  I lucked out, and managed to get a few pairs of dress slacks, two cardigans, and a few pairs of nice shoes.  Including my first ever pair of grown-up, man-eating, power-woman high heels.  I'm not yet sure if I can survive an entire day of wearing them.  But I definitely felt a small part of my soul shrivel up and die when I realized that I needed to buy them.

So from now on, if you see me during the week, you will no longer be seeing the Veena who strolls around in shorts and t-shirts from Old Navy.  Instead, you'll see the new Veena who wears dresses and nice skirts and cardigans and dress slacks and ballet flats and high heels.

But on weekends, you'll still find me in my Razorback garb and my pajamas.
Gotta keep some small part of my soul [and reputation] intact.
xx

1 comment:

  1. Veena in a dress AND high heels..!! You have to send me a picture from every angle..!!

    ReplyDelete