the wonderful world of veena.

29 July 2013

1/2 marathon monday: don't run TO the finish line, run THROUGH it.

Every time I'm getting close to the end of one of my runs, I have Coach McMahan's voice in my head repeating that over and over. Don't run to the finish line, run through it. I heard him say it so many times for days and months on end to the girls at Baylor during practices [I was the trusty manager, so it was never said - or yelled - to me], and now it's getting me to make sure I go hard at the end of my runs. It's been 13 years since I graduated, and I can still hear his voice as if it were yesterday.

And now for the Week 3 updates:

Monday: 2 mile run. it was a beautiful morning full of dark clouds, and I took advantage of it and shaved another minute off my time from last week. my lower back was hurting a bit from my workout on Sunday, but it shouldn't slow me down too much.

Tuesday: 45-minute Get Toned Beginner Energizer workout. this was the first workout that didn't have any recovery time built into it, and I definitely could have used some. finally a day with no Russian Twists, but to compensate, there were 2 sets each of Crazy Ivans and side plank crunches, neither of which are pleasant. I can feel myself getting better at some of the exercises that show up regularly, but today this workout also introduced about 4 new exercises, so those took a bit of time to master.

Wednesday: 1 mile run. I got a little excited at the beginning and was winded by the time I reached the top of the incline, but the nice weather made me forget everything else.

Thursday: 45-minute Get Lean Beginner Cardio Surge workout. going from mountain climbers into a squat hold was not very fun, and I definitely could always do without the 2-feet-plank-side-hops, but otherwise it was alright. oh, and scissor jumps. those are super fun. I don't know if I can necessarily say I enjoyed this workout, but it certainly was not nearly as destructive as Tuesday's. so I guess that's progress.

Friday: well, I was supposed to do my first 3 mile run on Friday, but because I was in Little Rock for my Capstone defense and had stayed up the previous night with Maggie and Stephen, I didn't get up and run in the morning. and then we had so much going on at home when I got back to Memphis, I had to just burn one of my rest days on Friday and switch up my training.

Saturday: completed my 3 mile run. it was a wonderfully cool morning, and I really enjoyed my run. it was the farthest I've run since last October in Delhi, and I was pretty proud of myself when I finished. between defending my Capstone on Friday and running 3 miles on Saturday, I was kind of feeling like I could conquer the world.

Sunday: a second day of rest. and I definitely needed it.

3 weeks down, and I'm feeling pretty good with myself. let's see what week 4 has in store for us.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment