the wonderful world of veena.

11 July 2013

movie review: world war z.

The brother and I have been saying for a few weeks now that we should go see one of these recent releases on the big screen, so today we took ourselves for an afternoon viewing of World War Z.

I remember when the book by Max Brooks [son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft, in case you didn't know] was published a few years ago, but I really didn't give it much thought. Zombie books have never really been high on my list of potential reads, and I had - and still have - enough other books I wanted to read that I wasn't overly bothered.

But then I saw that the movie was being released, and I was intrigued. The previews looked alright, and different enough from previous end-of-the-world summer blockbusters that I had refused to see. Then I read a recent article about Brad Pitt in Vanity Fair that touched briefly on some of the production setbacks - primarily of the budget variety - that the movie had experienced, and my interest was aroused once again.

One of the main things I liked going into the movie was that, other than Brad, the movie didn't have any major stars. I tend to avoid the summer blockbusters with a truckload of famous people but no real plotlines. Other than that, however, I was pretty much in the dark as to what the movie was about and had zero expectations as to how it would be.

And I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised.

The movie was gripping throughout, the action scenes were pretty good, and even though it was 2 hours long, it never dragged or felt ridiculously long. Both the brother and I walked out having thoroughly enjoyed it. It seemed at the time that the end wrapped up rather quickly, but I think it would have felt like that regardless of the length of the movie. Overall it is definitely a movie I would recommend seeing at the cinema while it's still playing.

Besides, it's a movie about Brad Pitt saving the world. Doesn't get much better than that.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment