the wonderful world of veena.

09 June 2013

movie review: yeh jawaani hai deewani.

Yes, you read that title correctly. I watched a new Hindi movie. Almost entirely voluntarily. And I enjoyed it. How about that?

Last weekend Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani was released, and we decided to make a family outing of it to the cinema to see it. Normally I don't see most of the new Hindi movies, mostly because I can think of a million other things I'd rather do with 3 hours of my life, but my brother was so excited about it, Madhuri Dixit had a special appearance in one of the songs, and we'd not been to a movie together as a family in a long time, so we all went, and I figured I could take a nap if it was long and tedious.

So imagine my surprise when I not only enjoyed the movie but actually found myself invested in what happened. It was a light-hearted romantic comedy, as are most Hindi movies, but it had an actual plot, the songs were good, and the characters were not only likable but also fairly realistic [other than the whole girls-trekking-in-Manali-wearing-denim-skirts-and-leggings thing].

I'd not seen Ranbir Kapoor in a movie in a number of years, and I was impressed to see how much his acting skills have developed over the years. And Deepika Padukone, too. I'd seen her in a few movies before, but either her characters were annoying or not fully developed, and it was nice to see what both of the main actors could do with well-written, three-dimensional characters.

My mother and brother went back to see the movie in the cinema yesterday afternoon, and on the way home they picked up a $2 pirated DVD of the movie from the Indian grocery store. Last night they watched the songs, and this afternoon we pretty much watched the entire movie again during and after lunch.

It's a good movie, and I have a feeling it's going to be on repeat for the next few months in the Rangaswami household. So if you want to see it, stop by, because it'll probably be on.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment