Yes, it's true that I am turning 30 on Monday. What is also true is that there are a number of other pretty cool things that are 30 years old this year...
30 awesome things that happened in 1983:
- the Indian cricket team won their first World Cup.
- Aziz Ansari was born.
- Return of the Jedi was released and became the highest grossing film of the year.
- also, Scarface and The Outsiders.
- McDonald released the McNugget.
- Nintendo released the original Mario Bros arcade game.
- Microsoft Word is first released.
- Meryl Streep won her first Best Actress Academy Award.
- the music video for Thriller was released.
- the Internet was created.
- the premiere of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.
- Jim Valvano's NC State team beat Houston in the men's NCAA Championship.
- the final episode of M*A*S*H aired to more than 125 million viewers.
- the introduction of the Cabbage Patch Kids.
- the first Sony Camcorder was released for public use.
- Wayne Gretzky set an All-Star Game record with 4 goals in one period.
- U2 released their War album.
- the Red Hot Chili Peppers were formed.
- Michael Jackson moonwalks for the first time on television.
- Vanessa Williams became the first African-American woman to be crowned Miss America.
- the creation of Martin Luther King, Jr Day as a federal holiday.
- Tony Dorsett set the record for the longest run from scrimmage when he ran for a 99-yard touchdown.
- Sally Ride became the first American woman in space.
- The first Motorola mobile phones are introduced to the public.
- Plinko debuted on The Price is Right.
- The Sweet Valley High book series debuted.
- Reading Rainbow.
- Alice Walker won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
- the first Hooters opened in Clearwater, FL.
- I WAS BORN. obviously.
So as you can see, '83 was a pretty landmark year. I'm in some good company.