the wonderful world of veena.

10 January 2013

30 thursdays: 30 books you should read.

I have loved reading for as long as I can remember. When I was young and my mother would read to me at night, sometimes she would think I was asleep and would skip ahead a few pages to finish, and I would get upset and make her start over from the beginning. When I was in grade school, I would shut myself in my closet with some pillows and blankets and stay up the whole night reading without anyone finding out. When I was in high school, I often spent more time reading my own books than the ones I was assigned in school. And now, as an adult, I try to make it a point to read something, either a book or a grown-up magazine, for at least 20 minutes a day. So as you can imagine, I've read my fair share of books. As much as I would love to re-read a number of them, I can't help but think of all the other books that are out there that I need to read for the first time. I can never pick just one favourite book [or movie or song, for that matter], but below are 30 books that I have loved at some point in my life and would love to read again, if time allowed and if I didn't already have a never-ending list of books yet-to-be-read.

30 books you should read:
  1. Shantaram
  2. The Namesake
  3. The Shadow of the Wind
  4. Beach Music
  5. Tuesdays With Morrie
  6. Harry Potter series
  7. The Handmaid's Tale
  8. The Wheel of Time series
  9. The Glass Castle
  10. I Know This Much is True
  11. Sophie's Choice
  12. Their Eyes Were Watching God
  13. A Thousand Splendid Suns
  14. Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide
  15. The Help
  16. Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found
  17. The Commitments
  18. My Sister's Keeper
  19. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  20. Me Talk Pretty One Day
  21. Moth Smoke
  22. Water for Elephants
  23. Love is a Mix Tape
  24. What is the What
  25. A Long Way Gone
  26. The Razor's Edge
  27. The Thirteenth Tale
  28. Too Late the Phalarope
  29. Bossypants
  30. Song of the Cuckoo Bird
There are so many more I could add to this list, but I must contain myself. I am always ripe for suggestions, so if you have any books you think I absolutely must read, please pass them my way.

Happy reading!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment