the wonderful world of veena.

08 October 2011

the greatest show on earth.

Nope, I'm not talking about the circus.  I am speaking of the King Biscuit Blues Festival, the greatest staple of my childhood growing up in Helena.

The Blues Fest, as we locals like to call it [although I'm not sure if I'm still allowed to refer to myself as a local, considering I've not lived there in 13 years], is hands down the best weekend of the year.  Three days of nonstop performances, vendors selling everything from jewelry and clothing to funnel cakes and sno cones, a bbq competition, and wrapping everything up with a stop at Pasquale's Tamales at the end of Cherry Street.  I also have vague memories of riding an elephant in the middle of crowded Cherry Street during one Blues Fest of my childhood.

As much as I love and adore Blues Fest, I have unfortunately only been once in the last 11 years, and it was raining that weekend, so we didn't even spend very long downtown.  While I was in college it always clashed with volleyball tournaments that I had to work or with Homecoming - sometimes both - and then I've been out of the country the better part of the last half decade.  I tried my best to get down there last year, but it was too close to my return to Bangalore, so it didn't work out.

But this year is different.  I made it a priority from the beginning of the year to make sure I would get down there for Blues Fest this fall.  Luckily it coincided with a relatively light weekend for us, so 4 of my classmates and 1 girl from Class 6 are joining me for a giant road trip down to Helena [-West Helena, for those of you who are already acclimated to the new name] to enjoy the blues.

I can't wait.
Woo pig.
xx

1 comment:

  1. I think no matter how many years go by, you're ALWAYS a local! Wish I was gonna be there this year! It's the first year ever that I think it's not supposed to rain AT ALL! HAVE FUN!!!!

    ReplyDelete