the wonderful world of veena.

06 October 2011

citizen of the world.

One of the questions that I have found the most difficult to answer since arriving at the Clinton School is also the one I am most often asked:

Where are you from?


Mine, like many others', is a complicated answer, and I never quite know how to respond.  Yes, I lived in Helena for 15 years, but I've not lived there in 13, so it doesn't really qualify, especially since my parents also have not lived there in 7.  They now moved to Memphis in 2004, just after I finished my 4 years at Rhodes, so I guess that was "home" for about 6 years.  But then I've been in Bangalore for the better part of the last 6 years, so that's more like home at this point.  [in case you're trying to do the math and are coming up a few years short, it's because of my 2 years in Chattanooga, which is probably the place in the US I consider home above all the others]

On top of which I continue to claim loyalty to Arkansas for the Razorbacks, to Memphis for Graceland and bbq, and to India for pretty much all things awesome.

So where does that leave me?  Either having a long-winded answer to what should be, in most people's eyes, a very simple question.  Or else with a response like the title of this post.

It's a question I'm asked all too often, and one I've come to dread above all others.

Where are YOU from?
Woo pig.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment