the wonderful world of veena.

04 October 2011

10k tuesday: round two.

To tell you the truth, I had hoped to have more updates for you this week.  In an ideal world, I would be finished with Week 2 as well as Day 1 of Week 3 [does that make sense?].  Unfortunately, I live not in an ideal world but in a graduate school world where things do not pan out the way we [I] hope.

In the first week, I missed completing Day 3 that Friday because I had to get breakfast for my Law & Ethics class.  Last week, I did Week 1 Day 3 and Week 2 Day 1 back-to-back, which in hindsight was not the best decision I've ever made.  Because of that, I had to take a few days off before I could finish Day 2 on Saturday.

I was all set to complete Week 2 yesterday [Monday] until I realized that I had to be downtown half an hour earlier than usual to print out my paper and get it turned in.  I know it just sounds like an excuse, but running in the pitch black at 6am in 40 degree weather is just not my ideal scenario.  So then I decided I would complete Week 2 today, until I spent about 3 hours tossing and turning like a madwoman last night. When my alarm went off this morning, I couldn't even open my eyes to turn it off, so that quickly got shot down.

So here I am, getting more and more behind in my training.  I'm hoping to be in bed early tonight anyway to rest up for my Decision Analysis midterm, and I think a nice little workout might be a good way to get me up and about in the morning.  And that will put me back on my M-W-F workout routine, with kickball [sort of] filling in on Sunday - at least for a few more weeks.  I'm trying not to run on the weekends, partly because I am going to be out of town pretty much every other weekend for the next 2 months, but also mostly because those are my only days to sleep in, and I crave that.

I can, however, update you on the first 2 days of Week 2:

I could definitely feel myself moving a bit faster on the second day.  I think the first one I was being cautious since the intervals increased, and I just wanted to make sure I would survive it, so then on the 2nd day I knew kind of how far I could push myself.

I am, however, a bit confused on how the phone tracks my distance.  I run in the park down the street from my house, and I usually count the laps as I go.  I'm pretty sure I did more laps on Day 2 than on Day 1, but according to the gps on the phone, I actually ran a shorter distance.  So I'm confused.  But whatever, I'm surviving.  That's my biggest goal right now.  I'll worry about distance and time and whatnot at a later time.

Also, purchasing an armband for my phone was definitely a great investment.  It is so much easier without having to carry my phone in my hands.  Plus it keeps me from checking the time constantly.

If I were still on schedule, this weekend would be my first timed run, but because I've gotten behind, I think the earliest I'll be able to do it is next weekend.  I'm a little bummed about that, but right now midterms and papers take precedence.

Things I need:
  • a new pair of running shoes, as decreed by my brother.  he claims that should help take care of my potential knee issues [the knees did NOT like the back-to-back workouts last week.  at all]
  • a good running fleece.  these mornings are getting a bit chilly.  any suggestions?
  • more music on my phone.  I put a few songs on there, but all of my music is still on my external harddrive, and I honestly haven't had time to transfer it onto my computer.  potential Wednesday night plan following Bavon's midterm?  possibly.  but honestly, I'll probably get distracted and forget and then only remember when I go for my next run.
Other notes:
  • eating healthy has been difficult since I have NO food in my house, and no chance of purchasing more until probably Thursday.
  • I keep forgetting on mornings I don't run to do my weights and abs.  it's very intermittent.  I'm hoping that if and when I get into a proper schedule, that will also fall in place.  we'll see.
  • I haven't yet been brave enough to take my arm weights with me on a run.  maybe tomorrow?  depends on if I grow my balls of steel overnight.
And there you have it.  I can tell you're thrilled to know so much about me and my running habits.
Woo pig.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment