the wonderful world of veena.

26 September 2014

veen on the road: the byrd theatre.

One of my favourite memories of my time in Richmond was my visit to the Byrd Theatre on Cary St. The Byrd is a restored theatre, formerly the site of plays and musicals, that now offers $2 movies to visitors.

Multiple friends had told me to stop by the Byrd if I had time, and to my sheer surprise and delight, the theatre was literally just outside the back door of my airbnb studio in Carytown, making checking it out a no-brainer.

The interior of the theatre is beautiful, and the movies are often recently released films that are only a few months old. When I was in town, the early show [7pm] was The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and the late show [10.15pm] was A Million Ways to Die in the West. I honestly didn't have much of a desire to see either film, but I very much wanted to experience a movie at the Byrd, so I opted for the early show and settled in with my popcorn and Coke [which cost me $7, by the way] to watch old Spidey.

[the byrd is pretty stunning]
The movie itself was just ok, but I have also been off the Spiderman movie bandwagon for close to 10 years now. I like both Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone immensely, but even they couldn't save this movie for me.

Movie aside, however, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Byrd and would highly recommend it to anyone who lives there or is just passing through.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment