the wonderful world of veena.

19 August 2013

[audio] book update: gone girl.

I have been hearing a lot about audible the last few months, so back in June, when I knew I had a number of road trips on my horizon, I decided to try it out. They give you the first month free as a trial, and you get 2 credits to begin, so I used my first credit to listen to Gone Girl [Gillian Flynn]. I had been hearing so much about the book since it came out last year, so I figured it would be a great use of my latest little toy.

The book was awesome. There's really no other word for it. It's fast-paced, it's got a ton of twists and turns, and at times you don't know who to believe or even which character to like in a given moment. But I loved it. If I were reading the book version, I probably would have finished it in about 4 days, because I would not have been able to put it down. Because I was listening to it, it took me significantly longer, and by the final 1/3 of the book, I was just walking around my house listening to it on my phone.

I don't want to discuss the plot overly much, because I don't want to accidentally give away any of the plot twists, but trust me when I say that you should read this as soon as you can. Flynn weaves an awesome story of lies, deception, love, truth, family, loss, heartbreak, and everything in between. I can't wait to read some of her other works.

As far as listening to the book, as I said, it took me a lot longer not having the book in front of me. I have listened to audiobooks before and enjoyed them, but this is one that I think I would have enjoyed more had I been able to read it myself. I didn't have as much time as I had hoped for during my road trips to listen to it, and it was difficult to listen to it while running errands, so I was constantly searching for opportunities to finish it. I am, however, glad that I finally got a chance to read / listen to it.

I am yet to use my second Audible credit just yet, but I think I'll probably download something for my trip to Aruba next week to get me through those airports and plane rides and to listen to while I'm on the beach. Suggestions are always welcome.

Currently Reading:

Emperor's Children [Claire Messud]. Rob, Britney, and I have formed a book club of sorts and are reading this as our first book. I'm about halfway through it and am still a bit unsure how I feel about it. Will do a full write-up after I've finished and once we've had a chance to discuss it. I'm curious to hear what they think of it.

The Shadow Rising [Robert Jordan]. The 4th book in the Wheel of Time series. I obviously did not complete the entire series before my birthday back in July. Once I realised this book itself was 2600 pages long, I gave up on that dream. I am, however, still trucking along through it. I'm a little over halfway and have decided that I will probably be reading these books for the next decade. They're really good, and I'm invested in most of the characters - there are a few that are getting on my nerves - so I'll stick with them, but I'm still pushing through with my other books as well.

On the Horizon:

Whatever Rob or Britney chooses as our book for September.

Creating Room to Read: A Story of Hope in the Battle for Global Literacy [John Wood]. Another one from the founder of Room to Read that I am excited about.

The Fault in Our Stars [John Green]. Another one that has been gaining a lot of good publicity. Being made into a movie that is releasing either late this year or early next year.

Midnight's Children [Salman Rushdie]. It's been on my must-read list for years. And one of these days I'm actually going to get around to reading it.

I've got a few trips coming up, so I'm hoping to make a dent in my ever-growing list of books.
And as always, I love hearing suggestions for anything I need to add to my list.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment