the wonderful world of veena.

09 September 2012

bring on the chaos.

I have now been in rural Nepal for 4 weeks, and while I have enjoyed my time here and have loved getting to visit the schools where Room to Read works, I am definitely ready to be back in Kathmandu later this week.

Having grown up amongst the cotton fields on the banks of the Mississippi River, I am no stranger to rural living. That being said, however, life amongst the rice paddies has just about run its course. I think probably the biggest thing for me is that there's not a whole lot to do around here, so Arpana and I pretty much just hang out in our hotel on the days we don't have interviews to conduct. While it's perfectly comfortable, seeing the same four walls all day and night long can get old. We try to go for walks in the evening, if the temperature is bearable, but even that is hit-or-miss. There's nothing to do in the nights, and even if there were, it's not really advisable for women to roam around on their own once the sun sets. So we hang out in the hotel, and I watch movies or tv shows that I have stored on my hard-drive and then read for about an hour before I sleep.

I'm not meaning to complain, as the weeks here have had their own charm, I've gotten to read for pleasure quite a lot [finished 3 books since I've been out here!] and all the people at the hotel and the Room to Read office have been extremely kind and patient and helpful. But it has also been a reminder that I am at my best amidst the hustle and bustle of a city. I need some noise and some chaos and some stimulation. I need the option of having a quiet night rather than having 30 quiet nights in a row. I need things to do and people to see.

So while I am glad that my project included some time in the field and I was able to see a bit of rural Nepal, I am equally grateful that it also provides time in the city. And I am ready to be back in one. #3moredays
woo pig.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment