the wonderful world of veena.

24 May 2011

kudos to amazon.

I enjoy reading good along with my other online news sources for many reasons: they link to other news articles as well as writing their own, and they focus a lot on topics such as education, climate change, and non-profits, all of which appeal to my areas of interest.

Today I was reading through various articles and came across this gem: Amazon is now allowing people to send in their used electronic devices in exchange for credit for future purchases.  I like this not only because it encourages people to recycle their used electronic gadgets [just imagine how many phones, cd players, video game consoles, and computers you have thrown out in the last 10 years], but the idea of trading these things in to then be able to purchase books excites me.  I've cut down on my book-buying sprees of late, mostly because I need to save money and partly because I'm moving in 5 weeks and don't want to lug too many books across the world, but this is a great way to not only get rid of things sitting around my room but to be able to justify buying new books.

Although the article mentions that Amazon hasn't yet said whether their trade-in offer utilizes e-stewards certified recycling centers, I still have to commend Amazon on taking a step in the right direction and using their status to create a bit of awareness about a growing problem that too often gets overlooked.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment