the wonderful world of veena.

28 August 2014

veen on the road: vegging out in greensboro.

Following Brit's Bach Beach Bash, I needed a few days to chill out. It was a crazy weekend in general, and it was also the most social interaction I had had in quite a long time, so I was very much looking forward to a quiet few days in Greensboro.

A little background: two of my very good friends from Rhodes, Stu and Carrie Johnston, live in Greensboro. Stu and I were very close in undergrad, and although Carrie and I didn't spend a whole lot of time together, we were friends and always got along very well. Stu and Carrie got married in 2008, but I had not seen them together since before their wedding, and I had not seen Stu since June of 2009, so we were long overdue for a visit.

[the "alexander", available only at corner slice in greensboro. cheese stix topped with bacon and served with ranch dressing. yes please]
When I began nailing down dates and details for this summer excursion of mine, Stu was the first person I emailed asking about the best time to visit. Once I received his enthusiastic response, I began planning the rest of my trip around that visit.

And what a great two days it was. When Stu asked me what I wanted to do during my visit, my response was something along the lines of, "I want to do what you do and eat what you eat and probably day drink a little." And that's pretty much what we did.

[stujo with the 2002-2003 copy of faces, the last year they made hard copies. it provided hours of entertainment while we were in college and continues to do so to this very day]
I got to meet a few of Stu and Carrie's friends; I accompanied Stu on a few errands around the town; the three of us went out one night for dinner; and I introduced them both to the wonders of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey.

But most importantly for everyone involved: when I arrived at their place in Greensboro on Monday morning, Stu already had the extra disc for Hoosiers in the DVD player and queued up to the scene I needed to watch -- the deleted scene that shows Buddy apologizing to Coach Norman Dale for walking off the team and asking to be allowed back on. Finally one of the longest-lasting mysteries of my life is solved!

[farewell breakfast: fried chicken biscuit with a side of bacon. sending me off in style]
My visit to Greensboro was fun and refreshing and delicious and educational, all rolled into one, and it was exactly what I needed. Stu and I spent a few hours catching up on Rhodes gossip, and once Carrie returned from work, we settled in for drinks and dinners and long chats. It was so great to see and catch up with them both, and it made me even more thankful for their friendships.

Up next: a spontaneous few days in Winston-Salem!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment