the wonderful world of veena.

05 May 2014

movie review: divergent.

After reading the first book in the Divergent trilogy in early March, I finally got to see the movie in the cinema when I returned from my crazy visits to DC and New York at the end of the month. And just as expected, I loved it.

This was one of the better books-to-movies that I've seen in quite a while, and it stayed more true to the book than I expected it to. It hit all the right notes, it had all the big scenes, and it had the easy-on-the-eyes hot guy with the stubble, so it was pretty much perfect for me.

Even though I had pretty high expectations going into it, mostly because I had read the book so recently, I really enjoyed it. The main thing that disappointed me was that one of my favourite lines from the book was left out -- when Four is giving Tris advice going into her fear simulator, he says to her, "It's when you're acting selflessly that you are at your bravest." It's such a great line that really brings together so many aspects of his character and gives great insight into his thoughts, and I kept waiting and waiting for it to show up, to no avail.

Other than that, it was a great time-pass movie. It moves along quickly, it's entertaining, and it's got some pretty good acting. It's not going to change the movie-making industry, and it's not going to win any awards, but it's definitely worth watching, especially if you're a fan of the books.

And now on to read the second book, Insurgent, and wait [im]patiently until next March for its cinematic release. Surely I can find ways to entertain myself until then.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment