the wonderful world of veena.

21 May 2014

loving lately: lily allen's sheezus.

When I was visiting Lindsay and Steve - and Evelyn! - in Nashville last week, I was watching The Today Show after Lindso left for work. I've not watched the show in ages, but I happened to catch it just as they were preparing for a musical performance by Lily Allen, so I thought I would listen in.

I've not really listened to Lily Allen before, but that's more because I just have not really heard many of her songs. I've always heard people say that they were good, but I somehow don't remember ever hearing any of them. It's a well-known fact that I sometimes live under a rock, so we'll chalk it up to that and move on.

So back to last Wednesday. She was on to promote her new album Sheezus [yes, inspired by that Kanye album of a similar name] and sang one of the singles, "Our Time". I really liked the song, both in lyrics and in sound, and filed it away to come back to. The beats were really good, and since I'm always on the lookout for new running music, I wrote myself a note to check out the rest of the album once I was back in Memphis [yes, I still write myself handwritten notes. you don't?].

And in a nutshell, it's great. The songs are catchy, the beats are lively, and some of the lyrics are pretty thought-provoking, particularly my current favourite song, "Hard Out Here" [the video is a bit graphic, so I'll just link to it rather than including it in the post].

I've listened to the album a few times while running this week, and I have to say, I kind of love it. And I would definitely recommend purchasing / downloading the Explicit version. You'll miss out on the meaning of a lot of the songs if you get the "clean" one. That's not to say that it's overly graphic or anything; I'm generally a fan of purchasing songs / albums the way the artists intended them to be heard.

And now I'm going to go work on my face so I don't end up on my own.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment