the wonderful world of veena.

17 May 2014

19 of 52: a nashville show.

After seeing an acoustic performance by two of Bombay Bicycle Club's members at NH7 Weekender in Pune in October 2012, I have not been able to stop listening to them. I had heard of them before and had listened to a few songs, but I had a new appreciation for them after that live performance.

In following them, I was able to download their latest album, So Long See You Tomorrow, when it released last fall, and it was quickly inculcated into my running playlists. It introduces a new sound for the group and allows them to advance themselves as musicians, which is really fun to listen to.

Earlier this year, the band announced a US tour. Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to go through and see where they were playing. I knew they'd hit the big spots, like New York, LA, and Chicago, and I also knew they weren't playing in Memphis, as it would have been announced already, but I figured there was no harm in just checking.

And lo and behold, there it was: a show in Nashville on May 14! I hurriedly checked my calendar and noted I didn't have anything scheduled around that time, so I knew it was going to be a priority of mine to get to that show. I asked Natasha if she would be interested in going with me, and I purchased our tickets [which were $17 each, for the record. included an opening band. I'll take it] about a month ago.

The show was on Wednesday, but I drove over on Tuesday - one of the perks of working from home - so I could spend an evening with Lindsay, Steve, and baby Evelyn. On Wednesday evening I dropped my stuff at Natasha's condo, and then we headed over to find the venue and dig up some grub.

[because it's not really a trip to nashville until i get to see my muffin]
The show was at Exit/In, a cool venue near Vanderbilt. It was General Admission, and there were no seats, only an open floor, so rather than try to get right in the middle, we grabbed a drink and staked out a spot close to the stage on the side.

Opening for BBC was Royal Canoe, a really cool Canadian group I hadn't heard of before. They had a great energy on stage, and although there was a lot of feedback from the speakers during their set, I really liked their sound. Definitely a band worth checking out. [they're playing at Bonnaroo this summer, for anyone heading that way]

[royal canoe in action]
And then the smoke started, and here came the guys of Bombay Bicycle Club. They launched straight into "Overdone", the opening song from their latest album, and it was awesome right from the opening note all the way through the last song. And they had a guest singer - Liz Lawrence - performing with them, who was fantastic. Her voice really added a nice depth to some of the songs.

[the smoke messed up my pictures a bit, but trust me when i say they were awesome]
It was so different to see the whole group and to see a full performance, and we had a blast. We felt a little out of place in the crowd - lots of hipsters in a small space - but we had fun dancing and shouting along with the rest. BBC's got such a great presence and energy on the stage, and I'm so glad it worked out for me to be able to see them and get to introduce a new friend to them.

[awesome, awesome show]
They've got a few more dates in Texas this week and then they're off to play festivals around Europe, but if you ever get the chance to see them, definitely take it. I promise you won't regret it.

other highlights included: picked up my copy of Infinite Jest [spoiler: it's a whopper]; gave a lift to a Couchsurfer and had a wonderful drive to Nashville chatting with him; spent some time with baby Evelyn; quality time with Natasha; a Shelby Farms walk with Walker, baby Lena, and Bailey the dog; finished reading One More Thing and am gearing myself up to begin Infinite Jest; found out I've been approved to be a Girl Rising Regional Ambassador!

Now I'm just trying to figure out where I can stalk them to next.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment