the wonderful world of veena.

04 February 2014

memphis eats: ethiopian restaurant.

Before my father and I saw American Hustle a few weeks ago, we tried out Ethiopian Restaurant for dinner. We've both had Ethiopian food before, but it's been about 6 years for me and closer to 30 for my father, so we decided to give it a go, since it's very near the Cordova cinema.

To begin with, the name. I love that it's just called "Ethiopian Restaurant". Not trying to hide anything, not bragging or showing off, just a simple pronouncement of what they offer. I like it when places don't try to beat around the bush.

It's a very simple restaurant, with a very simple decor. Just about 10 tables, with various Ethiopian souvenirs displayed on the walls. Nothing over-the-top or fancy, so you know I liked it.

They have a fairly simple menu anyway, but I have a feeling the same dish - the tibs - gets ordered in whatever version people want, be it chicken, beef, lamb, or fish. My father and I went with the lamb tibs and a starter of beef sambusa, the Ethiopian version of a samosa.

The sambusas were pretty good, and the tibs was delicious. While the lamb was tasty, my father and I really enjoyed all the vegetables that came with it - cauliflower, two different kinds of lentils, and some yogurt-y something [the salad was also very good, but it came with the sambusa as well, so we both kind of ignored it on the main dish :/]. It's served in a giant dish with a side of injera, similar to an Indian dosa but brown in colour.

[looks good, doesn't it?]
Because the dish is so large, we shared it, and even then it was too much food for the both of us. Hats off to anyone who can finish that on their own.

It was a nice simple dinner, and I'll definitely be back. In particular I would like to try out their weekday lunch buffet one day. Anyone who's interested, let me know.

Location:
1134 N Germantown Parkway, Suite 107
Cordova, TN 38016
901.590.3658

Hours:
Lunch Buffet Weekdays 11am-2pm
Tues-Thurs 11am-9pm
Fri-Sat 11am-10pm
Sun 11am-7pm
closed on Mondays

I recommend:
beef sambusa to start and yebeg tibs [lamb] or tibs wot/awaze tibs [beef] as an entree, depending on your meat preference.

And seriously, join me for the lunch buffet. Or for eating adventures in general.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment