the wonderful world of veena.

11 February 2014

foodie friday: soul fish cafe.

For our Friday lunch out a few weeks ago, my parents and I tried Soul Fish Cafe in Cooper Young. I had been craving catfish for a while, which I knew my father is always game for, and although my mother's not big on seafood, she loves all the accompaniments, especially hushpuppies and fried okra.

Soul Fish has three locations throughout the city, but because I am a Memphis purist when it comes to dining out, we went to the Midtown location on South Cooper. Because we went around 12.45pm, we didn't have any trouble finding street parking, but I imagine it can get tough, particularly in the evenings or on the weekends.

My first impression of the inside was a highly positive one for one reason: the curtain. When you open the door, there is a thick curtain that divides the immediate entrance from the interior of the restaurant to keep the outside breeze from impacting dining customers. Genius, really, and I don't know why other places have not been doing this all these years. Extra points for that one, especially since we were there on a cold, windy day.

The restaurant itself has a simple, semi-homey kind of feel to it. It's a lot of exposed steel, which keeps it from being too overly familiar, but it's still a welcoming space, with lots of pictures on the walls, comfortable-looking booths [we were seated at a table], and chalkboards depicting the day's specials and the beers on tap.

For food, I went with the catfish basket, and I substituted fried okra in place of the coleslaw. My food was awesome and was way more than I needed to eat, but it was yummy. My father got the blackened catfish, and he loved it. My mother ordered the kid's meal chicken tenders and got a side of okra, which she seemed to enjoy.

All in all I loved it. I finally got my catfish fix, the okra and hushpuppies were great, and the cornbread that came with my father's meal was awesome. So I will definitely be back in the future.

Locations:
862 S Cooper
Memphis, TN 38104

4720 Poplar Ave
Memphis, TN 38117

3160 Village Shops Drive
Germantown, TN 38138

Hours:
11am-10pm M-Sa [East Memphis & Midtown]
11am-9pm Su [EM & M]

11am-9pm Su-Th [Germantown]
11am-10pm F-Sa [G]

I recommend:
the catfish basket. although on my next visit I plan on trying one of the po-boys.

Any suggestions for where we should lunch this week?
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment