the wonderful world of veena.

16 February 2014

6 of 52: connecting with friends.

A few months ago I wrote about being intentional about maintaining relationships with friends both near and far. I am always learning what an ongoing process it is, but it's always great to connect with friends, no matter how long it's been since the last time we spoke or saw each other.

This week I had the opportunity to reconnect with friends both in Memphis and abroad, and those little moments went a long way to improving my mid-winter spirits.

On Friday I joined Jane, Chrystal, Regina, Dan, and Walshie at El Porton for drinks and dinner after which all of us ladies headed on to Slider Inn. It was a low-key night, and I was back home by just past 10, but it was also really refreshing. It was great to hang out with all of them in such a casual setting, with nothing else really happening around us, and eat and drink and laugh and generally cause a ruckus. It's been a while since I was in that kind of an environment, and I really enjoyed it. I've known Jane and Walshie since our Rhodes days, and Chrystal, Regina, and Dan all work at Rhodes, so even though I've not known them for as long, that immediate connection made us fast friends, and I always enjoy getting to spend time with all of them.

[me and jane in bangalore, july 2011]
On Saturday night, after many months of missing each other or having conversations in passing, Dorothy and I got to have a nice long gchat session. Dorothy is one of my very closest friends in Bangalore; she is one of the most genuine and caring people I know, and her friendship has meant so much to me over the last 8 years. We often catch up on-the-go like this, and somehow our quick interactions will turn into 2-hour long chats on a wide ranging variety of topics. It's always so nice to hear what is going on in her life and to just let the conversation flow, and these chances always remind me how grateful I am to know Dorothy and her family.

[me and dorothy at tavern, october 2012]
This week it was little interactions like those that lifted my spirits, especially since I've been up-and-down battling a bad cold since Wednesday night. Sometimes it's a combination of all those little things that can make your week.

other highlights included: lots of Winter Olympics watching; finally got to eat at Second Line; saw Spamalot at Playhouse on the Square; finished Life After Life.

Here's to a happy - and healthy - week ahead.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment