the wonderful world of veena.

11 February 2013

a little life update.

It occurred to me earlier today that between all the various series I have going on in the blog, and my limited access to Internet, it's been a while since I did a good old fashioned update on what's been going on in my life.

Well, fear no more, readers, for here is your long-awaited update...

I've been in Bombay for almost 3 months now and am still enjoying it. I've been living with Saranya and Priyanka in Lower Parel and have slowly been helping them set up their home. We're making progress, and there's never a dull moment in 1302. At the moment we have about 3 house guests, so it's going to be a fun week.

January was a bit of a crazy month with visits from my mum, Alex, and Haygood. Mum was in India for 3 weeks, and one weekend when she was in town we took everyone out for dinner. I jetted off to Coimbatore for 2 days, and when I returned Alex stayed with us for about 5 days before heading down to Goa to sit on the beach for a long time. Oh, those Britishers.

Work has been good; my project has been keeping me busy the last month or so, and my online classes and independent study have actually made me more productive with my time. The next 4 weeks are going to be hectic, as I have to log about another 175 hours for Capstone by 8 March; it's going to be tight, but I think it'll get done. I had a slight setback because of the IRB and only just started counting my hours a few weeks ago, but I should just make it and <fingers crossed> should still graduate on time.

Because things have been so crazy the last month or so, I've not really had time to think about what happens "after graduation". I have a few things I want to do for myself while I'm back in the States [visit a few friends I've not seen in a long time, see a few places I've never seen, go to Disney World, etc.], and I'm trying to figure out how best to do as much in possibly not a lot of time. I have a wedding the weekend after graduation and another in June and another in Atlanta in October as well.

Ideally I would like to move back to India, but that depends on whether or not I find a job. That whole "I'm going to just move to India and figure things out from there" is not going to go over as well at the age of 30 as it did when I was 22. And Bombay's a pretty expensive place to live.

A few fun things on the horizon: this weekend is the Mahindra Blues Festival here in Bombay [with Robert Randolph & the Family Band as the Sunday headliner]; next Friday is the Bombay Food Festival; 5 March is Norah Jones; and as soon as I finish my Capstone work, I'm taking off for Shillong to chill out with Sastri, Tet, Rajat, and Manish. Tyler is coming for the last week in March, and we wrap up the month with Bugsy and Vikki's wedding in Goa.

Beyond that, I'll eventually return to the States, but I've not quite figured out the exact when of it. I'll cross that hurdle next month once I get my head on straight again.

Steph and Pete shifted to Bombay a little over a month ago, and it's been great having them in town. Two weekends ago we went to Nashik for Sulafest, and this past weekend we did a treasure hunt around south Bombay which pretty much just involved going to restaurants around Worli and Lower Parel and doing drinking games. Pretty cool, actually. And it was a costume thing; we went as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [we had a fourth person originally, but she fell sick and so wasn't able to join us in the end] and won the prize for most creative team.

So that's pretty much my life in a nutshell. It's been busy but good. January was a bit choppy and all-over-the-place, but I think February should feel a bit more grounded. And now I should get back to my reading and my other work.

Until next time...
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment