the wonderful world of veena.

14 May 2012

back in the saddle? here's hoping.

For those of you who have been reading this blog with any regularity over the last 9 months or so, you may have noticed [or maybe not. I don't know how perceptive you are] that it's been a while since I wrote anything about running. Approximately two months, actually.

Well, that's because I haven't been running. Not since my glorious 10k back in March. The reasons / excuses, as always, are many: I'm lazy; I had the world's worst cold-and-fever-thing for a solid week after the race; there was a ton of Practicum stuff to be completed before spring break / during spring break / after spring break; school has been hectic; I've been in and out of town; I'm lazy...the list goes on.

I kept telling myself I needed to start running again, but it was difficult with the crazy schedule of the last month and a half. No two weeks were the same, and there were often days I was out of the house from 8am until 9pm or later, after which I had no energy to then go for a run. So I let myself get out of the habit, convincing myself that it would all be ok, that I would start again. tomorrow. Except tomorrow never came.

Until today. I finally got off my lazy bum and took myself for a 20-minute jog around the park near my house. And while the last three minutes or so were difficult, overall I thought I did well, even managing to maintain the pace I was running two months ago. I finally realized that I had let myself go for long enough, and that if I plan on trekking in the mountains of Nepal in a few months, I'm going to need to get myself back into shape. And now that school is finished, I finally get to set my own schedule for the next few weeks, meaning that I can run whenever I feel like rather than having to plan it around classes and work and meetings and public programs and on and on and on.

There's no telling how long I'm going to keep up with this once I'm back in India [girls don't often just go for a run down the road], but there's no point in worrying about that if I don't get myself into a routine here first.

So am I back in the running saddle? It might be too soon to tell, seeing as how it's only been one day. But here's hoping.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment