the wonderful world of veena.

06 July 2011

[mis]adventures in travel-land.

What a trip.

After nearly 48 hours of traveling, my mother and I finally made it back to Memphis.  We had a 2-hour delay leaving Dubai, an hour and a half wait for our bags in New York, a canceled flight, an hour and a half wait in line to re-book our flights, an overnight stay in New York, and finally a flight today morning from New York down to Memphis.

My shoulders hurt, my arms hurt, and I'm pretty sure I smell a bit ripe, but I'm home.

One highlight of the trip was the Dubai airport.  I saw: my first pair of Daisy Dukes since 1994; an Australian teenager walking around in his towel after having a shower; an Irish sandwich bar; and a set of grandparents making their 5-year-old granddaughter drag around a bag twice her size while they strolled ahead.  It's a bit busy there, but it certainly does provide ample opportunity to people-watch.

One good thing about the trip back being so busy is that I never got the chance to dwell on the fact that I finally left, so therefore I didn't cry.  I was a bit worried that the waterworks were going to be fierce, but I managed to have them not even start.

Next on the agenda: purchase a phone; purchase a car; figure out my housing for Little Rock; figure out my road-trip plans; unpack my bags [I hope that bottle of Old Monk survived] and sort through everything; get started on my "homework" that arrived while I was gone; purchase the remaining books I need for the fall; get some more clothes for school; and a few other things in between.  No rest for the weary, it seems.

All I know for sure at this point is that I'm not getting on another airplane for as long as possible.

[pictures from the last month - including my sendoff - coming soon]
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment