But more important than that, I wanted to clean off the shelves and the floor. My old laundry basket from college was on the floor and had accumulated a pile of junk in it that I had just not had enough time to get around to over the years. So today I pulled everything out and sorted it into donations, trash, and stuff that I had forgotten I had and wanted to keep. I also came across a few other treasures in the process, including:
- a fruit roll-up of unknown age.
- a new pair of jeans from Old Navy. with the tags still on.
- a travel pillow that is most definitely not mine. finders keepers.
- my brother's putting green. why was it in my closet? who knows.
- things I had brought back from India to give away as gifts. approximately 7 or 8 years ago. oops.
- shoulder straps for LL Bean duffel bags. 2 of 'em. don't know which bags they go to.
- gift certificates to a paintball place in Memphis that closed about 5 years ago. I had won them at some Intramural / Rec Services event when I was in my second year at Rhodes.
- a Grizzlies practice jersey that I parents and I had bought to give to my brother about 5 years ago. guess I dropped the ball on that one.
- a picture frame that someone very generously gave me for my graduation. from high school. I know this because it says Class of 2000 on it.
- a Louis Vuitton watch. I have no recollection of ever having received it. although to be fair, even if I had been given it as a gift more than 5 years ago, chances are I wouldn't have known who Louis Vuitton was.
- boxes of Nerds from my first St Patty's Day parade in Baton Rouge. which I attended in 2007.
- a stack of football trading cards. including a Sterling Sharpe rookie card. Christmas came early for my brother this year.
I also found my old shoebox where I keep letters and cards and other mementos from my college years. It was very entertaining to go through it and re-read postcards from Thara while she was in Spain, from various people studying abroad, and one from Caitlin that she sent from Bass Lake. I also found one of my old Jamaica bracelets, a ribbon someone gave me for achieving something, and loads of little pins and other trinkets. It was a nice trip down memory lane.
Now that my closet is sorted, I have to work on cleaning the rest of my room before I move. Wish me luck.