the wonderful world of veena.

22 June 2011

my happy places.

Hampi and Honey Valley.  Two of the most peaceful places you will find amongst the hustle and chaos of India.  Two seas of tranquility a stone's throw away from the horrors of Bangalore traffic.  Two of my favourite places on earth.  And I was lucky enough to be able to say goodbye to both of them in the past week.

As part of the traveling portion for the Impington group that is currently here, I take them to both Hampi and Honey Valley, as well as Mysore.  Hampi and Honey Valley have long been two of my favourite destinations - Hampi from the time I was an intern and spent a crazy 18 hours there with a few fellow interns, and Honey Valley from my first visit there with my first Impington group back in 2008.

Hampi is one of the most picturesque towns you'll ever see.  Boulders one on top of the other, just begging to be climbed on, and temples and statues in various stages of decay.  You can spend two days there, just walking around, or you can rent bikes or hire autos to take you to the sights that are farther away.  Even though it is a big tourist destination, everything is so spread out that once you leave the main bazaar street and start wandering through the ruins, it is easy to think you have the entire place to yourself.  Over the years I have found many a reading spot nestled in between ruins or on the hill where the Hanuman temple rests.  I have made friends with a few of the restaurant guys and shopkeepers, which always makes for interesting return trips.  I love the afternoons when the group goes shopping and I can have a peaceful wander through the town, lost in my own thoughts.  In each of my 6 trips, I have always found something new and exciting to see.

Honey Valley in Coorg might just be my favourite place.  Ever.  Tucked into the coffee plantations that are a staple in the Coorg region, it is a homestay run by what might be the nicest family to ever exist.  They're so sweet, taking time to sit and talk to every guest who wants to have a chat.  The scenery is breathtaking.  Each time I've gone I go on the same trail - straight up - because it's fun to get to the top of the mountain, but at some point in my life, I'm going to go for a week and explore all the other trails that they offer.  I love that after I took my parents there for one day two years ago, on every subsequent trip, all the staff ask after them and wonder when they will come back.  I love that I can sip a cup of tea and read my book amongst the beautiful outdoor setting.  I love that they strive to be as sustainable as possible, even generating their own electricity using the water from their on-site streams and waterfalls.  And I love that every time I go back there, I feel as though I am being welcomed back into their family.

It was sad saying goodbye to both Hampi and Honey Valley, particularly because I don't know when I will return to either.  Both places hold many happy memories for me, and I will miss both of them.  If you ever find yourself wandering around south India, make sure you stop in these two places.  Trust me, your life won't be the same.
xx

[blogger is being annoying and not loading my pictures, so I will post those another day.]

No comments:

Post a Comment