the wonderful world of veena.

13 February 2011

nothing like a $4 haircut.

I have never been one to spend crazy amounts of time on my hair.  I wash and condition it every few days, comb it about once in 3 months whenever I unearth my comb, and usually end up pinning it or pulling it back into a ponytail for work.  I don't know how to use a curling iron - or really rollers for that matter - and I haven't owned a hair dryer in over a decade.

So it shouldn't come as a huge surprise that I hate having to pay a minimum of $20-25 just for a simple trim.  Even in India, where most things are "cheap" as compared to US standards [I put cheap in quotation marks, because I have been earning in rupees for the last three and a half years. so it's all a bit relative], haircuts are almost equivalent to what they are in the US.

On top of that, I went to the salon near our house last year for a simple "trim".  The lady trimmed it, that's for sure, but she cut it in such a way that it didn't grow out properly.  And I had to shell out nearly rs 600 (about $15) for it, which is one of the cheaper rates in the city.  So when I needed to get a trim last November, I was obviously hesitant to go back there, and I refused to pay anything more considering I no longer trusted salons.

Enter Prakash with a wonderful solution.  He sweet-talked his barber into trimming my hair for rs 100 (about $2.20).  Mahesh not only did a great job trimming it, but it grew back really well and was the healthiest it had been in a long while.

I went back yesterday for another trim (I desperately want it to be long again, but it just doesn't cooperate here), and poor Mahesh had a tough time, as the previous night I had backcombed my hair to be the Mad Hatter for a costume party, and it was tangled to high heaven.  So this time he charged rs 150 (about $3.60), which I thought was more than reasonable.  Here's hoping it continues to grow quickly.

The moral of this story?  I'm getting my hair cut at the barbershop from now on.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment