the wonderful world of veena.

02 March 2011

concerts and cricket matches and dog bites, oh my!

I've been wanting to post something for a while now, but the past few weeks have been a bit crazy.

Bear came to visit!  She was only here for a week, so it was a mash-up of drinks, dinners, a few concerts, and lots of catching up.  And in the middle of her visit, Prakash came down with a crazy stomach virus and ended up in the hospital for a few days, so there was a lot of running around to be done.

While Ellie was here we got to see Lounge Piranha play at Hard Rock, and we got to see Something Relevant play at Fireflies, both of which I was excited about.  I hadn't seen LP play since last July, and Ellie had missed them at Fireflies last year, so I was glad she got to see them on this visit.  And we got into the show for free!  We all know I'm always a big fan of anything that's free.  Something Relevant had cancelled their last show in Bangalore because of the bandh, so I was glad to see them at Fireflies.  And having them come on at 4am was a really good way of ensuring I stayed awake the whole night.

The World Cup also began on the 19th, so there has been lots of cricket-watching happening lately.  There have been some good matches, including the India v England match last Sunday THAT I WAS AT.  Unfortunately Anthony Appa and I left a bit early, so we weren't around for the last half hour of the match, which was heart-stopping, but it was still a fun atmosphere.  I owe Manav big time for giving us those tickets.

The only downside of last Sunday was that when we returned to Chamarajpet Mushu the dog bit my leg.  It's hated me from the time it met me, and because it keeps barking and chasing me up the steps, I can't say I am a huge fan of it either.  It's torn the leg of my trousers before, but this time it actually found skin and left some teeth marks.  So on Monday I had to go to the doctor, which is an experience in itself.  I guess I'm too used to doctors in the US, but there's no concept of "bedside manner" here.  I went in, told the doctor what happened, she looked at it for about 5 seconds, and wrote a prescription for a rabies injection.  Then I myself (with Bern, who came to rescue, because I had no money) had to go to the adjacent medical shop, purchase the syringe and the serum (which would be unheard of in the US), and bring it back to the hospital for the nurse to administer the injection.  Then I spent the rest of the day in bed because I was running a fever.  It was the first day in three and a half years that I've missed work for being sick, and I did not like it one bit.

And in between we didn't have Internet at home, so I've been stealing Amai's laptop whenever I was at her house.  So things have all been a bit crazy around here.  I'm hoping the next few weeks will be a bit calm, because I have a lot of stuff around the house I want to get done.  We'll see.

It's also less than a month until I find out from the Clinton School whether or not I've been accepted.  I'm trying not to think about it too much, but I have a feeling once a few more weeks pass it's going to be all that's on my mind.  Eeks.

In other good news, my friend Jane is coming to intern with Peace Child for a month this summer!  She's coming for my last month in Bangalore, which will be good fun.  It'll be the first time one of my friends comes as an intern, so I'm looking forward to it.

Also, my position is officially open for applicants.  If any of you are not yet members of the Peace Child India group on Facebook and did not receive the message with the job description, you can email Amaidhi - india [at] peacechild [dot] org - for more details.

Now time to fold the laundry that has been piling up on my bed.  Hopefully I won't be another two weeks before getting around to another post.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment