the wonderful world of veena.

09 March 2011

soulmates.

Do you believe in soulmates?

This is a question that has been on my mind for some time now, and lately it's come up in conversations with various people.  At dinner Tuesday night, Shalini and I said that we do not believe in the concept of soulmates, while Mukunda was adamant that he does.  [but then again, he also likes to watch romantic comedies, while I prefer Star Wars.  to each his own, I guess]

It came up again last night when I was talking to Prakash, and he stated as well that he believes in soulmates, while I again said that I do not.  To which he replied that when it's right, I'll believe in it.  [that lead to a whole other discussion, which I will not repeat on here]

I guess the concept of there being one "right" person for everyone, and the idea that the universe conspires to bring you two together at the "right" moment for both of you is a bit beyond me.  That's not to say that I don't believe in relationships and love and committment and marriage.  I do.  I have numerous friends who have been happily married for many years, and I can say with certainty that they will continue to be happily married for many years to come.  Do I envy their luck and their happiness?  Sometimes.  But do I believe that they have found their soulmates?  I really don't know.

It's not necessarily something I've made up my mind about.  Maybe it's the cynic in me taking over.  Or maybe it's 3.15 in the morning and my brain is delirious.  Whatever the case may be, I'm intrigued to know what others think about the subject.

thoughts?  comments?  suggestions [such as sleep]?
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment