the wonderful world of veena.

05 February 2011

inspired by Charlee.

My friend Charlee recently shifted from Little Rock to the UK with her husband Gene for Gene's job, and a few days ago she posted about some of the things she misses about living in America.  It got me thinking about the things I'm looking forward to when I move back in 6 months.  So, without further ado:

taco bell.
come on, you really couldn't expect anything else to be top of the list.  Taco Bell has opened two locations in Bangalore, but it's not the same.  No cheesy gordita crunch, no disgustingly awesome fake dog meat, and no 3am runs on the way home from the bar.

college football and basketball.
I love me some cricket, but for someone who grew up in the South, there is nothing like College Gameday, tailgating, spending a Saturday on the couch watching games, skipping work for March Madness, and all the other things that go along with college sports.

ESPN.
SportsCenter in India is just not the same as it is in the US.  There's no Kenny Mayne or Dan Patrick, no top10 highlights, and no ridiculous commercials involving mascots.  What's the point?

proper footpaths.
or sidewalks.  Whatever you choose to call them, I'm looking forward to having a smooth pavement on which to walk, one that is clear of vendors and bikes and doesn't have giant gaping holes into which I can fall.  Because let's face it, I'm clumsy.  The footpaths here are not good for me.

nice roads and people who [mostly] follow traffic rules.
oh, to drive on a properly paved road again.  I can sometimes feel the bones in my body clanking together when the bus goes speeding over the potholes that line Mysore Road.  And lane discipline.  I really can't say enough about lanes and the people who drive in them.

commercial-free television.
I'll admit it, I'm spoiled by dvr.  It's so nice to be able to watch a show without having to sit through the advertisements.  And some of the ads here - particularly on Star World - make me want to pull out my hair.  I cannot wait for the day when I can once again fast forward through commercials.

fast internet.
self-explanatory, really.

cold weather.
no matter how long I live here, I don't think I will ever get used to walking around in shorts in the middle of January.  It's just unnatural.  I miss my sweaters and scarves and gloves and toe socks.

There are other things I'm looking forward to [especially being close to my family and friends], but I figure this list is comprehensive enough.

But there are also many things I will miss about living in India.  Those will come in another post soon enough.
xx

2 comments:

  1. I totally feel you on the taco bell thing. we have one nearby (on base), but it's just NOT the same. everything just taste a little "off," the menu is different, and they close at 7:00 - what, I have to ask, is the point of a taco bell if it's not open late night?

    one of the first things I'm going to do when i go back to the states to visit is stay out until 2 a.m. so i can go to taco bell at an unreasonable hour and soak up its awesomeness the way it was intended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's always my first meal when I land in Memphis. my mother stopped questioning me about it years ago. I just don't understand how people live life without taco bell. it's unfathomable, really.

    ReplyDelete