the wonderful world of veena.

19 August 2012

linking sports and education.

Finally, two of my favourite things are being linked together.

Apparently Room to Read and the International Cricket Council [ICC] first partnered together last year during the Cricket World Cup, with Shane Watson of Australia and Angelo Mathews of Sri Lanka serving as ambassadors. This year, Virat Kohli of India has joined the team, and all are preparing for the upcoming ICC World Twenty20 tournament to be held in Sri Lanka in September and October of this year.

As part of the lead-up to the tournament, today Angelo Mathews, the ICC, and Room to Read unveiled a new local-language children's book about Mathews as a young child pursuing his dream of playing cricket. The book is aimed at young readers in grades 1 and 2 as a way to increase their interest both in reading as well as in sports.

I will admit, at times it is difficult to defend my love of sports when I see some of the athletes behaving poorly, setting bad examples for youth around the world, and flaunting their money when there are children I love so much whose families struggle to put food on the table each day. But it's days like these, when athletes come together with organizations working so hard around the world to promote the importance of learning and education - and yes, sports also - that I remember why I love both.

Today, I am proud to be a cricket fan.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment