the wonderful world of veena.

25 February 2015

hello hyderabad: chutneys.

Generally during the week I carry lunch with me from home, but every now and then I'll have to pick up something between the schools and our office. It's usually more of a quick snack - some biscuits or a chicken puff and a Thums Up - but this week I treated myself to a nice South Indian lunch at Chutneys.

Chutneys boasts a vast menu and offers everything from Indian to Chinese, but in my experience they are best known for their South Indian food, particularly their dosas and idlis and different chutneys.

[my assortment of chutneys. the ginger - far right - was my favourite]
I decided to stick with the basics and ordered a butter masala dosa. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I received my various chutney offerings. I was able to easily identify the peanut, coconut, and ginger ones, but the the others remained mysterious and enticing.

When my dosa arrived, I couldn't believe my eyes. I could quite literally feel my mouth watering at the sight of it, with the butter melting away on the top of the fresh dosa. I quickly dug in, suddenly famished.

[i dare you to find a more glorious-looking lunch]
To put it simply, my meal was delicious. The dosa was the perfect level of crispy, the chutneys were all fantastic, and the masala was tasty with just the slightest hint of spice. My favourite chutneys were the peanut and ginger, and I couldn't get enough of them.

Another thing I liked was that the masala was well spread out inside the dosa. Oftentimes at dhabas, they use a scooper to add the masala, so it ends up being a round blob right in the center of the dosa. At Chutneys, it was clear that they were more intentional about having an equal amount of masala throughout the entire dosa, which made a huge impression on me. I know it might sound nit-picky, but these are the small details that separate the good from the best.

[tearing it to shreds]
a few things to know:
  • I ate at the Banjara Hills location [just next to Nagarjuna Circle], but they also have locations in Jubilee Hills and Himayat Nagar and inside the Inorbit Mall in Hitec City
  • You'll be tempted by the other offerings on the menu, as I was by the chole bhatura, but if it's your first visit, stick with the traditional South Indian fare
I've had a pretty good food week, and as I head into my final two weeks in Hyderabad, I would love some more suggestions!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment