the wonderful world of veena.

01 December 2014

47 of 52: a long weekend with my parents.

After the craziness of the previous week and traveling all over the place, it was so nice to spend a quiet few days at home. And the bonus was that it was Thanksgiving, and my parents had a 4-day weekend themselves.

Thanksgiving is one of my favourite holidays in general, with the focus on spending time with people you love and stuffing your faces while watching lots of football. Tell me, what's not to love about that? And it's a great reminder as we head into Christmas to take some time to reflect of what we have to be thankful for in our lives.

My parents and I spent Thursday and Friday eating a lot, watching football and the Grizzlies, and decorating for Christmas. We always put up the decorations the day after Thanksgiving, setting up an assembly line to get everything out of the attic and into the living room. My mother and I put up the tree, and then I always take care of the ornaments. It's one of my favourite traditions, and I am grateful every time I get to be here to help with this.

[so many pretty ornaments to be hung]
[after 10 years our poor tree leans a little to the right, and some of the lights have since stopped working, but i still love him a lot]
[santa got a little drunk during his time off, so he's been quarantined]
We spent part of the weekend running errands, and then we drove through Starry Nights at Shelby Farms on Saturday night. My parents had never seen it, and they were ooh-ing and aah-ing like little kids at all of the lights.

[like kids in a candy store, playing with the flashlights at lowe's. can't take them anywhere]
[greater memphis]
[entrance to starry nights]
[indeed]
[this was my favourite part during the starry nights 4k last year, and it was my favourite part to drive through this year. the enchanted forest of shelby farms park]
Each year Thanksgiving is one of the best weekends of the year, and knowing that I am leaving in 4 weeks made it even more sweeter. It was great to have some time to just hang out with my parents, and I know how incredibly lucky I am to have had that time. Moving to the other side of the world always helps put things like this in perspective.

other highlights included: lots of sports watching; Sunday Supper and a Movie at Majestic Grille.

Less than a month to Christmas, which means it's also less than a month until I leave!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment