the wonderful world of veena.

30 July 2012

is there such a thing as being too transient?

I've blogged before about not having what many would consider a suitable answer to the question where are you from, but I am beginning to realize that in many ways it is a product of my own doing. In the last 12 years, I have lived in three very different cities, and in the next 9 months, I'm going to add significant stays in four more cities to my list.

I arrived in Delhi yesterday to begin my meetings with Room to Read's Asia Regional Office. I'll be here for a week before heading up to Kathmandu for a week of meetings with the Nepal Country Office. Following that I will be in the western region of Bardiya for 6 weeks completing the fieldwork for my project. THEN I will be back in Delhi for two weeks to wrap up my project. And that's just for the duration of my IPSP.

Once all of that wraps up, I will return to Bangalore for a few weeks to see the peeps, remind Nilah who I am, and generally roam the streets. At the moment, the plan is to spend the better part of November through February in Bombay, if all works out with completing my Capstone with Kranti <fingers crossed>. That could still change, depending on if that gets approved, whether or not any opportunities arise in Bangalore, how much money I have, etc.

Beyond that, I will most likely be in Bangalore / traveling / desperately looking for jobs as I write my Capstone FPR and figure out the rest of my life.

Now, I love traveling, but that is a lot of transitions in a fairly short amount of time. It's a lot of packing and unpacking, a lot of living out of backpacks, a lot of back-and-forth, and I have the feeling it's going to take a lot out of me.

I think I am beginning to realize I am 29 now and not quite as mobile as I was when I was 22 and had no real commitments. It's not necessarily that I want to settle down, get married, put up a white picket fence, and start birthing some babies, but I think I am finally coming around to the idea of settling somewhere and creating a home of my own. When I previously lived in Bangalore, I stayed in Peace Child's accommodation. While I was in Little Rock, I rented a room in someone else's house. For the last two months I have been moving between three homes in Bangalore. I think I'm finally ready have a space of my own, a space that is inherently mine. As much as I've loved the freedom I have had to move around as I wished these last few years, I am coming around to the idea of growing up and having a home of my own.

I guess the biggest question now is where do I want this proposed home to be? In Bangalore? In London? In the States? On the moon?

If only I could figure out the answer to that question, all of my problems would be solved.
If only.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment