the wonderful world of veena.

01 April 2011

an all-subcontinent final.

This is what it all comes down to.  After six weeks of runs, wickets, ties, incredible wins and excruciating losses, lots of nail-biting and Old Monk-consuming, a few questionable calls, some great catches, and lots of time sat on the bean bag in front of the television, it all comes down to this.

India v Sri Lanka.  in the final.

Not only is this the first all-subcontinent [or "all-Asian", as cricinfo is calling it] final, but India and Sri Lanka are also two of the hosts of the tournament.  India's run has been much sweeter because we beat Australia in the quarterfinals and Pakistan in the semis.

Of course, all of the fair-weather fans have come out to suddenly support India's campaign to win the whole tournament for the first time since 1983 [wonder what other great thing happened that year?].  All of a sudden everyone is proudly waving their flag and trying to talk about Sachin and Yuvraj and the controversy over the bowlers as though they know what they're talking about.  And we all know how I feel about fair-weather fans.  Reminds me of the mid-90s, when I would faithfully follow the Braves from Spring Training, and everyone who couldn't care one way or the other in the middle of May jumped on the bandwagon mid-September when it was clear they were going to win the NL East by leaps and bounds.  I know bandwagon-jumping is bound to happen in every sport, but I can't help but notice this happening year after year with these two teams.  When they struggle, everyone writes them off, saying they're all hype and no substance, all talk and no walk, all aggression and no subtlety.  And they'll slowly claw their way back to the top, and then everyone is a lifelong fanatic.  Drives me nuts.

But the match.  I can't remember exactly when was the last time we played Sri Lanka, but this match throws all the previous meetings out the window.  It's in Bombay, Sachin Tendulkar's hometown, in what could very well be - depending on the outcome of the match - his last match.  Our bowlers and fielders really stepped it up in the last match, cutting the heart out of Pakistan's comeback.  But Sri Lanka have been consistent, too.  This is also going to be Muralidaran's last match, and he'll be out for blood.  And their batting has been steady, steadier than our much-hyped lineup.  Our openers and top order are fine, but somewhere along the way, we just seem to be losing the thread.  I'm hoping they can sort that out by tomorrow.

Now the big question.  Where does one watch such a match?  Unfortunately most of my friends here aren't huge cricket fans, so that rules out a house party.  Watching sports in bars here is just not the same as it is in the States, mostly because people are uninterested and don't really understand the rules.  And I don't feel like sitting and explaining how the game is played during a match like this.  So instead, I'll be watching it in Goa.  Yes, that's right.  The final has coincided with a long weekend, so Prakash and I are off to Palolem.  At the moment, I can't think of anything better.

[and yes, I realize this weekend is also the Final Four.  and that VCU has come out of one of the play-in games to make it to Houston.  I realize what an incredible accomplishment that is, and I wish I could see it, but right now, in this moment, I'm glad I'm in India to experience this.  I'll watch March Madness next year]
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment