the wonderful world of veena.

10 June 2014

movie review: the fault in our stars.

[a favourite book and now a phenomenal movie]
Earlier this year I mentioned reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and anxiously awaiting the release of the movie. Well, it finally came out last Friday, and this afternoon I took myself on a little trip to the cinema to see it.

And talk about an emotional roller coaster.

Having read the book, I knew I was in for a lot of ups-and-downs. The story of Hazel and Augustus, teenagers who meet in their Kids with Cancer support group, is at turns funny and heart-wrenching, and often both at the same time. But it's also beautiful, and being able to see it unfold on screen was wonderful to watch.

I am generally a book purist and therefore am often critical of movies based on books, but I have to say, this was one of the best I've seen. The film remained more true to the book than most others, and it never tried to be more than what it was intended to be. I found myself, on more than one occasion, quoting along with the movie, since much of the dialogue was lifted directly from the book.

The performances of both leads, Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort, were simple and subtle, and I thought they made a really great onscreen couple. Having seen them as siblings in the movie version of Divergent, I was hesitant about them playing romantic roles opposite one another, but they were pretty great. I have to admit, I have quite the little crush on ol' Ansel after seeing him play Augustus. He brought a lot of understated charm to the role, and he really nailed it.

And above all, I loved seeing Laura Dern as Hazel's mother. I'm a pretty big fan of hers, and it's been far too long since I've seen her in anything. I would have liked her character - and Hazel's father, too - to have had a bit more depth, but ultimately this is the story of Hazel and Augustus, so it wasn't possible.

In short, I loved the movie. I cried through most of it, as I knew I would, but it was a combination tears of joy and tears of sorrow. Such is the story of Hazel and Augustus' infinity that the two are intertwined.

Take a small infinity out of your day and go see this movie. I promise you won't regret it.

Just remember to take some tissues.
xx

ps - if you want to read the book first, it's available for $10 on Amazon. well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment