the wonderful world of veena.

30 June 2014

25 of 52: early birthday celebrations with my parents.

Since my birthday falls on a Tuesday this year, my parents and I decided to celebrate over the weekend. When they asked where I would like to eat, I mulled the question and came up with two responses: India Palace and The Arcade [two separate restaurants, not a really awesome band name]. And so we went to both.

India Palace has long been my favourite Indian restaurant in Memphis. The guys there have known me since I was about 8, it's two blocks from where I went to uni, and I almost always receive something on the house, whether it be samosas or pakodas or kulfi. It's like an extra Memphis home, and it is usually my last meal before I leave for India and one of my first upon my return.

[this beautiful sign has signified "home" for nearly 20 years]
So last Friday, we went to India Palace for lunch. Although we partake in the buffet during lunch, we still received an order of chicken tikka masala - my favourite - almost immediately after I arrived. Although I go fairly often for dinner with my friends, my parents had not been in a long time, and it was nice for the three of us to be back there to enjoy a meal. And enjoy it, we did. Because India Palace is delicious.

[dinner spread from our first tuesday night ladies night gathering]
The Arcade is the oldest restaurant in Memphis. Founded in 1919 by a Greek immigrant, it has survived the ups-and-downs of South Main for nearly a century. Known for their breakfast, their coffee, and their burgers, it's a staple of Memphians and visitors alike. I had not been in a number of years, and my parents had never been there, so I chose to go there for an early lunch on Saturday. And it did not disappoint.

[the oldest restaurant in memphis and one of its most iconic buildings]
Everything about The Arcade, from the ambience to the food to the hustle, is exactly the same as I remember it from when I was in college. My father loved the breakfast options, and my mother loved the coffee, so I think I succeeded in recruiting two new fans. And I promise to not go 10 years before my next visit.

[exterior of the orpheum, one of my favourite buildings in memphis]
And to wrap up our Saturday, my mother and I saw The Book of Mormon at The Orpheum. I have been wanting to see it for years, so as soon as I heard that the production would be coming to Memphis, I bought my tickets. My mother is a great sport and agreed to tag along with me, knowing nothing about the show or the subject or the songs. But she loved it, and so did I. I still laugh from time-to-time remembering bits from the show, and it was great to share that experience with my mother.

[love the interior]
other highlights included: finalized some plans for my upcoming road trip; finished reading And the Mountains Echoed; the USMNT qualified for the knockout round at the World Cup; Rafa advanced to the second week of Wimbledon; the Braves swept the Phillies [are you sensing a sports theme to my week?].

Last week in town until I hit the road for 5 weeks! Here's hoping it's a great one.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment