the wonderful world of veena.

17 January 2015

book number one of 2015: nobody is ever missing [catherine lacey].

I love beginning the year with a good book, and I love it even more when that book is written by an old friend.

[getting started on my journey back to india]
I first found out about Nobody Is Ever Missing when Catherine Lacey wrote on her Facebook page that her book was being published. She had been publishing short stories in some of my favourite publications for years, and I loved it every time I saw her name in print, so I was beyond excited when she announced she had a novel in the works.

The book came out last year, and I finally got my hands on it toward the end of the year as I was preparing for my move. I began it on the last leg of my trip to India, and I just finished it this week. I would have finished it faster, but between work and catching up with people, I've been slacking on my book-reading.

In short, I loved it. And I am saying that not because I know the author but because I genuinely think it is a great book. It's such a treasure to read the adult writings of someone you knew as a gangly 9th-grader, and I was floored by the maturity and depth with which she wrote.

The story is not a happy one, but there were a number of the main character's inner thoughts I could relate to and can remember thinking at some point in my life. It is the story of a woman who runs as far away from her life and her husband in Manhattan as she can get and the experiences she has along the way. It is the story of how a person can be so haunted by their past, by one defining moment, that they don't know how to let themselves move past it and be happy. And it is the journey of a woman finding and redefining herself after years of pretending to be someone she's not.

It's a fascinating read, and one I will likely turn to again in a few years to see how differently I understand it. I can't wait to see what the author comes up with next.

And Lace, I'm so proud to know you and to call you my friend. Keep up the great work!
xx

next up: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. I am almost finished with Part One, and I am obsessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment