the wonderful world of veena.

03 November 2011

cultural taboos.

We had a panel at school today about the taboos that exist in different societies. It was interesting to hear about taboos that exist in China and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and it was also very amusing to listen to Sophia's tales of translating taboos from Pakistan into life in the United States.

Here's what I would have said about India:

  • Remember always to eat, give and receive money, and generally do everything with your right hand.
  • Never touch someone with your feet/shoes [this is one I have to remind my girls of every day].
  • Also, always take off your shoes when you enter someone's house. To this day I get on to my brother's friends who don't take off their shoes once they come into the house.
  • Public displays of affection are not acceptable in the villages; in the cities it can go either way.
  • Women are not advised to purchase alcohol themselves [never stopped me, but I've also never been one for rules].
  • No bare shoulders or short shorts in the villages; they're acceptable in the city center.
  • At most roadside shops, you are expected to bargain. Shopkeepers will never respect you if you pay the first price they say - it's more of a suggestion, anyway.
  • Remember that in India, many people live at home until they get married. After marriage, the son often continues to live with his parents, and his wife moves in.
  • If you are white, you will most likely be asked to pose for pictures everywhere you go. My advice to my interns was to charge people; that usually got them to go away.
There are tons of others, but those were the ones that came to me off the top of my head. Feel free to chime in with any others you can think of!

And keep those feet away from me.
Woo pig.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment