the wonderful world of veena.

25 June 2013

10k tuesday: switching it up.

Because I'm not training for anything specific at the moment*, I'm not following a specific training regimen right now. That means that I run whatever I feel like running on a given day, which is both good and bad.

It's good because if I'm not feeling well, I don't have to push myself to achieve a certain target, but it's bad, because I don't have specific targets or a particular training plan to follow. I make it up as I go along, and let's be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing.

When I first got back from India, the only thing in my head was that I needed to be running again. Not for any particular distances or times, but just back in the habit of it. I started off with shorter distances and then kept increasing by about .5km with each run, but that became difficult because of the inconsistency with which I was running. And as the runs in my parents' neighbourhood become longer, the number of inclines increase, which makes it that much more difficult.

So last week, after I had such a hard time with that 6km interval run, I decided to change things up a bit. On Thursday, before I left for St Louis, I just did a quick 2.1km run. And it was great. I increased my pace and ran in pretty hard [for me, at least], and it was just what I needed after that longer run on Tuesday. And yesterday I did something else: I planned out my route in my head, and then alternated faster and slower paces as the songs changed. It was a shorter route than the previous few weeks, but I felt really good at the end of it, and I concentrated more on my pace rather than the distance.

So I guess for the next few weeks I'm going to do that - run shorter distances and work on increasing my pace; I feel much more productive running shorter distances faster rather than running longer distances but struggling at the end. So my goal for the coming weeks is to increase my pace.

Run[s]: 2 [Thursday + Monday]
Distance[s]: 2.1km + 3.01km = 5.11km
Goal for next week: 5.5km

Now let's see how well I stick to it.
xx

*it's summer, so there are fewer races anyway, and there's no way I'm going to run 10k or 1/2 marathon in this heat, so the soonest I would run anything would be October-ish. the issue with that is that I don't know where I'm going to be in October, so I can't really commit to anything until I figure out my life. I've got a few races in mind for the October / November time frame and will pick one as I figure out other things. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment